Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers List biggest files (Not Directories) Post 302607951 by Corona688 on Thursday 15th of March 2012 06:51:00 PM
Old 03-15-2012
Any UNIX system has a Bourne shell somewhere, it's a non-optional feature, and not something they can easily deny people access to. What system are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

List specific files from directories

Hello, I would like to list the files from all directories that has been modified more than 1 month ago, and whose name is like '*risk*log'. I think a script like this should work : ls -R | find -name '*risk*.log' -mtime 30 -type f But it tells me "no file found" though I can see some. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Filippo
4 Replies

2. Solaris

top biggest files

hi all, is there any way how i can output the top 10-30 biggest files for all filesystem? using du -sh * is quite tedious since i have to move from 1 directory at a time. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3rr0r_3rr0r
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and files

I want to count how many levels there are under a directory. I repeat level. Also how i count only all the files in a directoy ( all files of all directories of all leves down!) and how can i count only all the directories under a directory (including subdirectories, all levels down) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psalas
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Biggest files on FS /

Hi! I'm using Unix HP I'm looking for a command which find the 20 (less or more) biggest files on / but which exclude every other files system Thanks;) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a list of files in a dir w/o sub-directories?

Hi I am looking for the correct syntax to find all files in the current directory without listing sub-directoris. I was using the following command, but it still returns subdirectoris and files inside them: $ ls -laR | grep -v ^./ Any idea? Thanks PS I am in ksh88 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories, subs and files

Hi, I try to list all files in a folder, including all the subdirs (and their subdirs) and all files contained in each of these folders. I then print it to a simple txt file. I use ls -R -1 >test.txt This sort of does what I need, yet, the result is something like: It reasonably comes... (53 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakke
53 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list directories with more than X files

I want to search a server beginning at /home and list directories with more than X files I found a hack that injects tons of files into a directory How can I search the server recursively and list directories with more than X files? Thank you! like, find /home (directories, that meet the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

10. Solaris

A way to list directories that contain specific files.

Hi everyone My issue is this, I need to list all the sub directories in a directory that contains files that have the extension *.log, *.dat and *.out . After reviewing the output i need to delete those directories i do not need. I am running Solaris 10 in a bash shell. I have a script that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsabo40
2 Replies
PASSWD(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd, master.passwd -- format of the password file DESCRIPTION
The /etc/passwd file is a legacy BSD 4.3 format file. It is mostly unused, but is updated by some utility programs. Its format is similar to the /etc/master.passwd file, except that it does not contain the class, change, and expire fields described below. The /etc/master.passwd file comprises newline separated records, one per user. Each line contains ten colon (``:'') separated fields. These fields are as follows: name User's login name. password User's encrypted password. uid User's id. gid User's login group id. class User's general classification (unused). change Password change time. expire Account expiration time. gecos User's full name. home_dir User's home directory. shell User's login shell. The name field is the login used to access the computer account, and the uid field is the number associated with it. They should both be unique across the system (and often across a group of systems) since they control file access. While it is possible to have multiple entries with identical login names and/or identical user id's, it is usually a mistake to do so. Rou- tines that manipulate these files will often return only one of the multiple entries, and that one by random selection. The login name must never begin with a hyphen (``-''); also, it is strongly suggested that neither upper-case characters or dots (``.'') be part of the name, as this tends to confuse mailers. No field may contain a colon (``:'') as this has been used historically to separate the fields in the user database. The password field is the encrypted form of the password. If the password field is empty, no password will be required to gain access to the machine. This is almost invariably a mistake. Because these files contain the encrypted user passwords, they should not be readable by any- one without appropriate privileges. The group field is the group that the user will be placed in upon login. Since this system supports multiple groups (see groups(1)) this field currently has little special meaning. The class field is currently unused. The change field is the number in seconds, GMT, from the epoch, until the password for the account must be changed. This field may be left empty to turn off the password aging feature. The expire field is the number in seconds, GMT, from the epoch, until the account expires. This field may be left empty to turn off the account aging feature. The gecos field normally contains the user's full name. Note that Mac OS X differs from some other operating systems, where the gecos field may contain other comma-separcted information about the user. The home_dir field is the user's home directory. This is the full path name where the user will be placed on login. The shell field is the command interpreter the user prefers. If there is nothing in the shell field, the Bourne shell (/bin/sh) is assumed. INTERACTION WITH DIRECTORY SERVICES
Processes generally find user records using one of the getpwent(3) family of functions. On Mac OS X, these functions interact with the DirectoryService(8) daemon, which reads the /etc/master.passwd file as well as searching other directory information services to find user accounts. FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/master.passwd SEE ALSO
chpass(1), login(1), passwd(1), getpwent(3), netgroup(5), DirectoryService(8), pwd_mkdb(8), vipw(8) HISTORY
A passwd file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
July 18, 1995 BSD