Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: components of solaris 11
Operating Systems Solaris components of solaris 11 Post 302607779 by jlliagre on Thursday 15th of March 2012 10:20:14 AM
Old 03-15-2012
Three of these components are not available:

- glibc (Solaris uses its own libc)
- xen & kvm aren't ported, Solaris 11 has alternative virtualizations solutions (ldoms, virtualbox, zones). There is a KVM port on illumos though.

One doesn't make sense as there is already a kernel and you can't have more than one (outside virtualization):

- Linux kernel

The two remaining packages are:

- gcc, both 3.4.3 and 4.5.2 versions available
- Xorg is based on X11R7.6
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

List Hardware components in HP UX

Hello Everybody: I need to check how many memory slots and the size of each I have on my HP UX system, is there something equilivant to prtcong in Solaris to display the list of HW compnents. Thanks alot . Aladdin (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the components of semaphore?

What is the components of semaphore? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dearanik
1 Replies

3. Hardware

How to find manufacture of laptop components?

Hi guys, I want to buy a lenovo Z500 laptop and install fedora 19 on it. I want to know if there would be any problem with drivers. I looked at specification. it says for wireless communication it uses Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230. according to this link kernel supports it. The problem is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting all the components simultaneously through script

Hi Folks , I have the below script that will start the components one by one by giving an interval of few seconds that if first component is started then there is interval of few seconds and then the second component is started , but by this way it takes time, i want to make the process faster... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
8 Replies

5. HP-UX

Version Controller for Components

Hi, I am new to the Unix world and in my current project i have to work on HP MPE/iX and MF-COBOL. They do not have a Change management and version controller till now. Can you please help me with the name of the product which can fit well in this purpose. Please advice. Ty. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohbaig
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)