Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A simple Backup script
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions A simple Backup script Post 302607668 by Skrynesaver on Thursday 15th of March 2012 04:25:35 AM
Old 03-15-2012
In order to avoid file name collisions you will need to recreate the directory structure under argv[2] see dirname $file so the script would look a bit like this.
Iterate over the filenames listed in argv[1]
if the named file exists and is readable
get the directory name
if there is not a corresponding directory under argv[2]
make a corresponding directory under argv[2] (check out the -p flag of mkdir)
copy the existing file into this new directory
And that's it

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff. Backup Script Using TAR. Should be simple.

I'm specifically trying to find help or insight on using the --incremental ('-G') option for creating a tar. Please resist the urge to tell me to use --listed-incremental ('-g') option. That's fairly well documented in the GNU tar manual. GNU tar 1.19 This is what the manual does say in section... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: protienplant
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Simple backup (cp) script but incremental

Hi all, I would need a rather simple bash backup script that loops throught the (local) users and for each users backs up (cp!) its /home/username folder. About the functionalities: The script has to run every 2 hours (that's cron, so don't mind about that) and the files should be copied to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurens
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a simple shell script to backup

Hello - I am in process of deleting many files which are older than 4 weeks. For example I am inside: /subsystem/prod/ Files are with various extentions, but anything older than 4 weeks should be deleted. What would be the most simplest script to acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple .sh and alias or ? whatever. Do backup!

Hi , Using bash shell (mintty) in cygwin/windows env. for some time and having issues with most basic commands. Will be quite easy to get er done once I know how , just like magic tricks. I need either alias OR shell script to change windows to posix path AND put that line back -input OR .cd to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sircuts
2 Replies
CGI::Pretty(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  CGI::Pretty(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Pretty - module to produce nicely formatted HTML code SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Pretty qw( :html3 ); # Print a table with a single data element print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Pretty is a module that derives from CGI. It's sole function is to allow users of CGI to output nicely formatted HTML code. When using the CGI module, the following code: print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); produces the following output: <TABLE><TR><TD>foo</TD></TR></TABLE> If a user were to create a table consisting of many rows and many columns, the resultant HTML code would be quite difficult to read since it has no carriage returns or indentation. CGI::Pretty fixes this problem. What it does is add a carriage return and indentation to the HTML code so that one can easily read it. print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); now produces the following output: <TABLE> <TR> <TD>foo</TD> </TR> </TABLE> Recommendation for when to use CGI::Pretty CGI::Pretty is far slower than using CGI.pm directly. A benchmark showed that it could be about 10 times slower. Adding newlines and spaces may alter the rendered appearance of HTML. Also, the extra newlines and spaces also make the file size larger, making the files take longer to download. With all those considerations, it is recommended that CGI::Pretty be used primarily for debugging. Tags that won't be formatted The following tags are not formatted: <a>, <pre>, <code>, <script>, <textarea>, and <td>. If these tags were formatted, the user would see the extra indentation on the web browser causing the page to look different than what would be expected. If you wish to add more tags to the list of tags that are not to be touched, push them onto the @AS_IS array: push @CGI::Pretty::AS_IS,qw(XMP); Customizing the Indenting If you wish to have your own personal style of indenting, you can change the $INDENT variable: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = " "; would cause the indents to be two tabs. Similarly, if you wish to have more space between lines, you may change the $LINEBREAK variable: $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = " "; would create two carriage returns between lines. If you decide you want to use the regular CGI indenting, you can easily do the following: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = ""; AUTHOR
Brian Paulsen <Brian@ThePaulsens.com>, with minor modifications by Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> for incorporation into the CGI.pm distribution. Copyright 1999, Brian Paulsen. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Bug reports and comments to Brian@ThePaulsens.com. You can also write to lstein@cshl.org, but this code looks pretty hairy to me and I'm not sure I understand it! SEE ALSO
CGI perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CGI::Pretty(3pm)