Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Top cmd showing NICE value 97% -what to tune? Post 302607510 by methyl on Wednesday 14th of March 2012 03:41:58 PM
Old 03-14-2012
The first server appears to only have one CPU and the O/S is battling with Oracle.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Top output] NICE % high ?

Hi, I've got some CPU bottleneck on a HP-UX 11 server : i didn't understand it until i discover i've got an unusual high percentage of NICE% CPU regarding my DBRMS process (Sybase 12.x). How do i have to understand it and how to resolve it ? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliador2001
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies

3. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

top and nice

Hi, I have two identical 12 CPU HPUX machines, and I run the same processes on each that load the boxes fully. top on one reports activity under the NICE (19%) and SYS (18%) columns, while top on the other reports 0% NICE and 16% SYS. What would cause NICE to be zero on one machine and not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBorgia
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tune my query

I have a requirement to separate only some numbers from the input file and produce it in a format. The input is ( i have took a sample, the actual file contains more than 50000 rows around 840 MB in size) $cat temp.txt 001 08 002 08 003 06 004 11 005 11 006 08 007 08 008 92* 009 92 010... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
1 Replies

6. Solaris

top is showing 0% cpu Idle

What should we do if we show a 0% cpu idl on top? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

Showing all users in 'users' and 'top' commands

Hi All, I work in a multi user environment where my school uses Red Hat Linux server. When I issue commands such as "top" or "users", I get to see what others are doing and what kinds of applications they are running (even ps -aux will give such information). "users" will let me know who else is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

9. BSD

Very high nice percentage in top command

Hello Folks, Recently our FreeBSD 7.1 i386 system became very sluggish. Nothing much is happening over there & whatever is running takes eternity to complete. All the troubleshooting hinted towards a very high nice percentage. Can that be the culprit? Pasting snippets of top command,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

An HTML tag is showing at the top of page

I noticed a HTML tag opened at the top of the index page. I do not know if this is an error or a coding mistake or it means something else which i do not know. I felt i raise the issue. Please kindly correct me if i am wrong. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: despiragado
5 Replies
NICE(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           NICE(1)

NAME
nice - run a program with modified scheduling priority SYNOPSIS
nice [OPTION] [COMMAND [ARG]...] DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND with an adjusted niceness, which affects process scheduling. With no COMMAND, print the current niceness. Niceness values range from -20 (most favorable to the process) to 19 (least favorable to the process). Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -n, --adjustment=N add integer N to the niceness (default 10) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nice, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nice translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
nice(2), renice(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nice> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nice invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NICE(1)