Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script Post 302607365 by daveu7 on Wednesday 14th of March 2012 08:29:53 AM
Old 03-14-2012
Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All,

I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the

./testifstructure.sh: line 6: [{BOOK1}: command not found

Please can anyone offer any advise.

Many thanks for your help

This is the test CODE follows:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2"

for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST}
do
 if [{$BOOK} = "BOOK1"]
 then echo '1'
 else
      echo '2'
  fi

done

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use next time code tags for your code and data

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

COMPARING STRING VALUES TO A VARIABLE and return code dignostics

Hey Folks and Gurus there I am trying to replicate this logic in bash : (1) if ; then function1 parameters & function2 parameters & fi Is there an easy method esp one with regex that can do this comparision. e.g. $var is compared to this list ( case regardless ) (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sieger007
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing a variable to a string

Hi, I am trying to write a script to show the status of a Network card. Variables: chosennic is a read variable statuss=`/sbin/ifconfig $chosennic | grep MTU | awk '{print $1}'` ipadd=`/sbin/ifconfig $chosennic | grep Bcast | awk '{print $2}' | awk -F : '{print $2}'`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejreading
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Search for a particular String and copy the timestamp to a variable

Hi, We Perfrom Loads to the database through a Perl script which generates a statistics file. I need to read the statistics. the Statistics file looks something like below: Process Beginning - 08-26-2010-23.41.47 DB2 CONNECTION SUCCESSFUL! Ready to process and load file: FILENAME # of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveenkulkarni
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in comparing 2 files string by string

Hi Champs, I am a newbie to unix world, and I am trying to built a script which seems to be far tough to be done alone by me..... " I am having a raw csv file which contains around 50 fields..." From that file I have to grep 2 fields "A" and "B"....field "A" is to be aligned vertically... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendra.pat04
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a string by comparing another string?

Hi , I have one file like BUD,BDL BUDCAR BUD,BDL BUDLAMP ABC,CDF,KLT ABISKAR ABC,CDF,KLT CORNEL ABC,CDF,KLT KANNAD JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY JAGAN JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY HOUSE JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY KATAK JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY KOLKA The o/p should be like BUD,BDL BUDCAR,BUDLAMP ABC,CDF,KLT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass a variable string in To_Date Oracle function in shell script

Hello, I am trying to execute an SQL query from shell script. A part of script is something like this: fromDate=`echo $(date +"%F%T") | sed "s/-//g" | sed "s/://g"` $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus -s /nolog <<EOD1 connect $COSDBUID/$COSDBPWD@$COSDBSID spool... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanketpatel.86
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing the value of a string index to a variable.

Hi, coding a simple program to compare an entered number to a randomly generated one. The number of digits are restricted so I'm just trying to figure out how to refer to the index value in a string and then compare it to the variable I want. I don't know if bash automatically indexes strings, so... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: outofcookies
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script (ksh) - SQLPlus query filter using a string variable

Using ksh, I am using SQLPlus to execute a query with a filter using a string variable. REPO_DB=DEV1 FOLDER_NM='U_nmalencia' FOLDER_CHECK=$(sqlplus -s /nolog <<EOF CONNECT user/pswd_select@${REPO_DB} set echo off heading off feedback off select subj_name from subject where... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Fgrep literal string from a file

have a file1 aaa-bbb-ccc-abcd aaa-bbb-ccc-bacd aaa-bbb-ccc-aaad aaa-bbb-ccc-ahave another file2 aaa-bbb-ccc-a fileusing the fgrep command, trying to have only the literal string returned. fgrep -f file2 file1 is returning aaa-bbb-ccc-abcd aaa-bbb-ccc-aaad aaa-bbb-ccc-aOnly looking for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
1 Replies
GET_META_TAGS(3)							 1							  GET_META_TAGS(3)

get_meta_tags - Extracts all meta tag content attributes from a file and returns an array

SYNOPSIS
array get_meta_tags (string $filename, [bool $use_include_path = false]) DESCRIPTION
Opens $filename and parses it line by line for <meta> tags in the file. The parsing stops at </head>. PARAMETERS
o $filename - The path to the HTML file, as a string. This can be a local file or an URL. Example #1 What get_meta_tags(3) parses <meta name="author" content="name"> <meta name="keywords" content="php documentation"> <meta name="DESCRIPTION" content="a php manual"> <meta name="geo.position" content="49.33;-86.59"> </head> <!-- parsing stops here --> (pay attention to line endings - PHP uses a native function to parse the input, so a Mac file won't work on Unix). o $use_include_path - Setting $use_include_path to TRUE will result in PHP trying to open the file along the standard include path as per the include_path directive. This is used for local files, not URLs. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array with all the parsed meta tags. The value of the name property becomes the key, the value of the content property becomes the value of the returned array, so you can eas- ily use standard array functions to traverse it or access single values. Special characters in the value of the name property are substi- tuted with '_', the rest is converted to lower case. If two meta tags have the same name, only the last one is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #2 What get_meta_tags(3) returns <?php // Assuming the above tags are at www.example.com $tags = get_meta_tags('http://www.example.com/'); // Notice how the keys are all lowercase now, and // how . was replaced by _ in the key. echo $tags['author']; // name echo $tags['keywords']; // php documentation echo $tags['description']; // a php manual echo $tags['geo_position']; // 49.33;-86.59 ?> NOTES
Note Only meta tags with name attributes will be parsed. Quotes are not required. SEE ALSO
htmlentities(3), urlencode(3). PHP Documentation Group GET_META_TAGS(3)