Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cant excute /etc/init/rc*
Operating Systems Linux SuSE cant excute /etc/init/rc* Post 302607355 by mark54g on Wednesday 14th of March 2012 08:08:42 AM
Old 03-14-2012
end -request: i/o error / dev hdb, sector 2566830

That should be your reason right there. You have a disk error on read. Time to get the backup tapes out and a new hard drive.

Also, this is a web forum. a "Plz reply soon" won't get you any expedited help. There is an emergency forum elsewhere, but I suggest if you have urgent needs, that you get a support contract in place.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help! can't excute

I can't excute any commands in /usr/bin when I try to excute commands in /usr/bin the error message is displayed " No Such device or address" Can you Help? Thanks in Advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Init 6 & Init 0 problem

Hi Expert, I have encountered some problem with my SUN system. Everytime when i issue command #init 6 OR #init 0 it just logout and prompt for login again instead of rebooting the server when run init 6 and system shutdown when run init 0.. I can only reboot the system using reboot ... Was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc2005
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

is there any way to excute script every N seconds?

Hello i have script that show me stuff , i need to excute this script every N seconds , is there any way to do it with one liner ? ( mybe perl ) thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excute file then..

I have a text file with only the command: MyTextFile: ls -l in it.. So in my sript im trying.. sh MyTextFile.txt >> MyTextFile.txt Just to overwrite and replace the command with its output. sh MyTextFile.txt 2>1 MyTextFile.txt isnt redirecting either.. :( Im getting the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omgsomuchppl
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to excute an awk file

Hi All, Greetings. I am working with an awk file say "Test.awk". My Input file is say "test" I am executing the awk file using awk -f Test.awk test I am new to awk. I wanted to know how can we execute the above awk command from a ksh file. Please help me on this. Thanks in advance!! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
9 Replies

6. Linux

How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all, I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel): 1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem on init 0, execution is the same with init 6

Hi, I am experiencing a weird thing on my SUNFIRE machine with Solaris 9 OS. When I do init 0 to shutdown the machine to go to ok prompt, what it did was shutdown and reboot like an init 6 command do. I did check the corresponding rc scripts that were involved with init 0 and compared with rc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yenthanh
2 Replies

8. Solaris

What is the diffe b/w init s and init S

i did my research in finding the answer but couldn't find right one. Please give your inputs. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranumala
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

init-script failing because of /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

I encountered a problem on one of our database servers. OS: CentOS 5.5 final Kernel: 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2 (OpenVZ kernel) We wrote some DB-Start/Stop-scripts ("/db2/admin/scripts_dba/start_services.ksh" and ".../stop_services.ksh") to start the database instances. (Database... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

cannot excute binary file

Hi, I am a new user of Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion). I am trying to compile a program and followed steps as: 1: qmake program_name.pro Not to mention I have installed qt and program compile perfectly without error and create a Makefile. 2: make Again everything worked fine and I got an executable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karun25u
1 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)