Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to add new options in bash script Post 302606253 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 10th of March 2012 08:25:11 AM
Old 03-10-2012
I would do none of the above. IMO: There is no discernable purpose (other than homework which this now appears to be) to doing any of this.

There are instances for using an alias (or a function) when for security reasons you want to do something like flip off/on ftp or sftp without breaking anything. Not because you want to spend cpu cycles so you can type "-u" instead of "conv=ucase"

Does anybody remember trigraphs in C? They came about because some early keyboards could not create certain characters. There had to be a workaround. Doing this "entry workaround" kind of thing is not inherently purposeless.

Since I cannot tell if this is homework, I'm leaving the thread open. Another mod may not do that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Add User script

Hey folks! I'm trying to work on a script that will add a user to the system. I have the complete script, but it's not working for me, and I'm not sure what to do. line 53: syntax error near unexpected token `0' ******************************************************** #!/bin/bash # # ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niels.intl
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing options to a bash script

I'm just not sure where to start looking into this. I want to be able to create switches for my script. Back in the day I'd make my scripts interactive...you know: echo "what report do you want" echo "A)boxes with errors" echo "B)boxes with more than 5 errors" echo "C)Service groups that have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH: Change alias to script to add a task

Hi. I use an alias, "homeperm" as shorthand for curl -o. Since most of what I download via cUrl is graphic image files -- jpeg files -- I'd like to be able to change this alias to a script, or use it to invoke a function, which will not only download the file but date-stamp it using Exiv2 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to compile multiple .c files with some options

I'm trying to write a bash script and call it "compile" such that running it allows me to compile multiple files with the options "-help," "-backup," and "-clean". I've got the code for the options written, i just can't figure out how to read the input string and then translate that into option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: travis.batzer
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

how to create new options of "dd command" using bash script?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Creating bash script the dd command and its new options (-l -U) -l options to lowercase contents of file -U... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katherineskye1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command line options from bash script

I have the following code and I am calling it using ./raytrac.bash -u and getting problems. For some reason opt_usage is still 0. opt_usage=0 iarg=0 narg=$# while (($iarg < $narg)) do (( iarg = $iarg + 1 )) arg=$argv usrInputFlag=`echo $arg | awk '/=/ {print 1}; ! /=/... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to add padding to a bash shell script?

I'm grepping several lines and I want all of them to display with the same padding, is there a command to add whitespace before a line? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcnewton13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - add/edit to file and save - sed?

I'm working on a script to execute a number of items. One being, editing particular files to add certain lines. I'm attempting to utilize sed, but, having issues when running from a bash script. Assistance is greatly appreciated. My example: sed -i '14 i\ # add these lines add these lines to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add missing date and time in a bash script?

Hi Again, I have a file that contains date and time for the past 2 hours. What i need is add missing date and time in a file. INPUT 2016-01-13 01:33 10 2016-01-13 01:31 10 2016-01-13 01:30 10 2016-01-13 01:29 10 2016-01-13 01:28 10 2016-01-13 01:27 10 2016-01-13 01:26 10 2016-01-13... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ernesto
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running options in bash script

Hello UNIX & Linux Forums community! Long time Linux daily user hobbyist, new to shell scripting.... I'm working on a script that does all the "work" in one script, and makes calls to a second script to display info to the user via mostly expanding variables in heredocs. I'm contemplating... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cody Learner
6 Replies
GETOPTS(3)						  libbash getopts Library Manual						GETOPTS(3)

NAME
getopts -- libbash library for command line parameters parsing SYNOPSIS
$retval getopt_long <Instructions> <Parameters> DESCRIPTION
This is a documentation for libbash getopts library, that implements getopt_long function for bash(1). For documentation of bash getopts function, please see getopts(1) ( getopts(1posix) on some systems). Here is a table for reference: getopts(1) (or 1posix on some systems) implemented by bash getopts(3) implemented by libbash. getopt(1) implemented by getopt utils (part of util-linux) getopt_long(1) implemented by libbash and installed to section 1 instead of 3 to prevent collision with C man pages. getopt(3) implemented by GNU C library. getopt_long(3) implemented by GNU C library. I have also seen separate getopt utility which part of util-linux package. The getopt_long function parses the command line arguments. It uses Instructions as the rules for parsing the Parameters. The Instructions A string that specifies rules for parameters parsing. The instructions string is built of a group of independent instructions, separated by a white space. Each instruction must have the following structure: -<SingleLetter>|--<MultiLetter>-><VariableName>[:] This structure contains three parts: -<SingleLetter> This is the parameter single-letter sign. For example -h. --<MultiLetter> This is the parameter's corresponding multi-letter sign. For example --help. <VariableName>[:] This is the name of the variable that will contain the parameter value. For example: HELP. The Variable name can represent one of two variables types: Flag variable (not followed by ':') In this case, it will hold the value 1 if 'on' (i.e. was specified on command line) and will not be defined if 'off'. Value variable (followed by ':') In this case, the value it will hold is the string that was given as the next parameter in the Parameters string (Separated by white-space or '=' ). If input contains more then one instance of the considered command line option, an array of the given parameters will be set as the value of the variable. The Parameters The Parameters are simply the parameters you wish to parse. RETURN VALUE
This function returns a string that contains a set of variables definitions. In order to define the variables, this string should be given as a parameter to eval function. This value is returned in the variable $retval. EXAMPLES
Parse command line parameters looking for the flags -h | --help and -v | --version and for the value -p | --path : getopt_long '-h|--help->HELP -v|--version->VERSION -p|--path->PATH:' $* eval $retval In this example, for the parameters --help --path=/usr/ the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=/usr/ for the parameters --help --path=/usr --path=/bin the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=(/usr /bin) BUGS
Values must not contain the string `__getopts__'. This string will be parsed as a single white-space. A value should not start with an already defined multi-letter sign. If such a value exists, it will be treated as the equivalent singe-letter sign. This bug only accures when using a single-letter sign, or a multi-letter sign that are not followed by a `='. For example: If we have a script named `foo', and we parse the parameters `-d|--dir:' and `-f|--file:', then foo -d --file and foo --dir --file will not work foo --dir=--file will work. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), getopt_long(1), getopts(1), getopt(1), libbash(1), getopt(3), getopt_long(3) Linux Epoch Linux