Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Java patching
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Java patching Post 302606127 by bitlord on Friday 9th of March 2012 03:31:07 PM
Old 03-09-2012
Java patching

hello,
I'm a Solaris admin and I was asked to patch some RHEL servers. I'm having trouble trying to figure out the RHEL java version. Can someone help me?

This what I do in Solaris
Code:
java -version
java version "1.5.0_34"
java(TM) 2 Runtime Envirement, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_34-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_34-b03, mixed mode)

This what I see on RHEL
Code:
java -version
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-52)

or
Code:
java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
OpenJDK Runtime Envirement (IcedTea6 1.10.6) (rhel-1.25.1.10.6.e15_8-x86_64)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11 mixed mode)

I went to the RHEL site and looked at this page.
https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/CVE-2010-4454
The issue is the version numbers don't match the layout I get from the command line. I can't figure out if my version has been patched to cover the vulnerability. In Solaris The latest update is 1.5.0_34 & 1.6.0_31 (put out in Feb), I would like to have the RHEL servers patched to the same level.

OS
RHEL 5.x, (5)
RHEL 4.x (1)

Can someone help me understand the versioning RHEL is using.

MAVEN(1)							   User Commands							  MAVEN(1)

NAME
Maven - Creates a link from a jar already installed in /usr/share/maven-repo. SYNOPSIS
mh_linkrepojar [option]... [pom] [link]... DESCRIPTION
Create symlinks from the jar in the Maven repository to any location, usually to a file located in /usr/share/java. Where [pom] is the location of the POM associated with the jar to install. GroupId, artifactId and version will be extracted from this file. [link] is a link to the jar to install, usually there should be a link to usr/share/java/$jar.jar and usr/share/java/$jar-$version.jar to comply with the Java packaging guidelines. Note that there is no need to specify those particular links if the --java-lib option is used. OPTIONS
-h --help: show this text -V --version: show the version -p<package> --package=<package>: package to act on -r<rules> --rules=<rules>: gives the location of the rules file for special properties. Optional, the default location is debian/maven.rules -c<classifier> --classifier=<classifier>: Optional, the classifier for the jar in the Maven repository. Empty by default. -v --verbose: show more information while running -n --no-act: don't actually do anything, just print the results Maven Repo Helper version 1.7.1 January 2012 MAVEN(1)