Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in? Post 302606035 by gull04 on Friday 9th of March 2012 11:30:30 AM
Old 03-09-2012
I've used many flavours of unix since 1980 and Linux since 1992, I have yet to see one that echos anything back to the screen.

Here is the link to RFC86 which was the Pluggable Authentication Modules, but I can say that before that I had never seen a password echoed on any of the many versions that I had worked with.

These included DG's MVUX and DGUX, Dynix, Olivetti Unix, CT Unix and a number of others.

Last edited by gull04; 03-09-2012 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Typo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Urgent !!! - Script to Change passwords in unix

I have SunOs 5.8. I need to change password using a unix shell script. I have tried to pipe the passwords to the passwd command but does not work. Pls provide a script to change passwds of a list of users using a shell script. ( I have also tried crypt() but did not work) The flow of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tofani
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix passwords?

The local policy is set in our LAN so that passwords have to be 8 characters and contain a capital letter, a small letter and a special character. Is Unix able to restrict users passwords to certain lengths and characters. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About unix passwords.

How the unix is maintaining the password ? How it does the encryption and how the passwords are stored in the system and where it is stored ? How it is better when compared to other OS ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle Passwords in Unix scripts

Hi Most of the shell scripts I am dealing with have to connect to oracle database . The username password is stored in a environment file which sets the variables for username and password . Set user id do not work on AIX so users who will execute these scripts need to have read or execute... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: clifford
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Check for Unix/Linux Passwords

We have almost 100+ Unix/Linux servers, on which I have account. Does anybody have a batch script which can do the following : - check if my password is correct - change my password We use SFTP/SSH on Linux. The solution should force reading of password from command line. ( Passwordless... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucknowm
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

how to Hide Passwords From UNIX ps Command

Hi, By reporting the process status with ps, any Unix user will see the command line arguments #ps -ef UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD lsc 13837 13825 0 May 11 pts/17 0:01 -ksh oracle 4698 6294 0 12:00:40 ? 0:00 sqlplus -s system/manager appluser 4229 4062 0 12:00:03... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagirathi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH - Passing Unix login passwords through shell scripts

Hi All , I need to call a script runscript_B.sh on server A, the runscript_B.sh script locating in server B. The runscript_B.sh in calls another script runscript_A on server A itself. it seend, i need to be connect from Server A to Server B using ssh. I have tryed like this in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

8. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change passwords for User accounts on multiple UNIX/Linux machines remotely?

Hello Experts, Need some direction on creating shell script for following environment: We have about 20 people in the team working as Oracle DBA's (sysdba's and appdba's). Total Servers which is a mix of Unix and Linux are 200. We do not have Root user access on any of the servers and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sha2402
3 Replies
CHPASSWD(8)						    System Management Commands						       CHPASSWD(8)

NAME
chpasswd - update passwords in batch mode SYNOPSIS
chpasswd [options] DESCRIPTION
The chpasswd command reads a list of user name and password pairs from standard input and uses this information to update a group of existing users. Each line is of the format: user_name:password By default the passwords must be supplied in clear-text, and are encrypted by chpasswd. Also the password age will be updated, if present. By default, passwords are encrypted by PAM, but (even if not recommended) you can select a different encryption method with the -e, -m, or -c options. Except when PAM is used to encrypt the passwords, chpasswd first updates all the passwords in memory, and then commits all the changes to disk if no errors occured for any user. When PAM is used to encrypt the passwords (and update the passwords in the system database) then if a password cannot be updated chpasswd continues updating the passwords of the next users, and will return an error code on exit. This command is intended to be used in a large system environment where many accounts are created at a single time. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chpasswd command are: -c, --crypt-method METHOD Use the specified method to encrypt the passwords. The available methods are DES, MD5, NONE, and SHA256 or SHA512 if your libc support these methods. By default, PAM is used to encrypt the passwords. -e, --encrypted Supplied passwords are in encrypted form. -S, --stdout Report encrypted passwords to stdout instead of updating password file. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -m, --md5 Use MD5 encryption instead of DES when the supplied passwords are not encrypted. -s, --sha-rounds ROUNDS Use the specified number of rounds to encrypt the passwords. The value 0 means that the system will choose the default number of rounds for the crypt method (5000). A minimal value of 1000 and a maximal value of 999,999,999 will be enforced. You can only use this option with the SHA256 or SHA512 crypt method. By default, the number of rounds is defined by the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS and SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS variables in /etc/login.defs. CAVEATS
Remember to set permissions or umask to prevent readability of unencrypted files by other users. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS (number), SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS (number) When ENCRYPT_METHOD is set to SHA256 or SHA512, this defines the number of SHA rounds used by the encryption algorithm by default (when the number of rounds is not specified on the command line). With a lot of rounds, it is more difficult to brute forcing the password. But note also that more CPU resources will be needed to authenticate users. If not specified, the libc will choose the default number of rounds (5000). The values must be inside the 1000-999999999 range. If only one of the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS or SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS values is set, then this value will be used. If SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS > SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS, the highest value will be used. Note: This only affect the generation of group passwords. The generation of user passwords is done by PAM and subject to the PAM configuration. It is recommended to set this variable consistently with the PAM configuration. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. /etc/pam.d/chpasswd PAM configuration for chpasswd. SEE ALSO
passwd(1), newusers(8), login.defs(5), useradd(8). System Management Commands 06/24/2011 CHPASSWD(8)