Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting removing \n in PERL from the data fetched from db Post 302605935 by Skrynesaver on Friday 9th of March 2012 06:09:07 AM
Old 03-09-2012
by default the "." does not match a new line, you can extend it to match across lines (ie, match newlines) with the s modifier. See code sample for practical examole of what I'm trying to say
Code:
skrynesaver@busybox~$ perl -e ' my $string="This is line one
this line two
and this is the end of the string";print "$1\n" if $string=~/is line(.*)/;'
 one
skrynesaver@busybox~$ perl -e ' my $string="This is line one
this line two
and this is the end of the string";print "$1\n" if $string=~/is line(.*)/s;'
 one
this line two
and this is the end of the string

As you can see the s modifier extended the characters matched by .* across multiple lines within the string

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Null data in output

Hello all, I have a script that has an infile with system package information. For the most part the script is looking well. The only thing i need help is in testing for null entries and removing null data. #!/usr/bin/ksh for i in `cat /mwncps/bin/eco_pack` do NAME=`pkginfo -l |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value not being fetched in the filename..

Hi, In the code below, the $DD1, $DD2, $MM1, $MM2 are not fetching the values. Can anybody tell me where have i made wrong. Shift_date.sh is a script which gives the previous date if we give the current date in the format YYYYMMDD and +/- how many days past/future.. Like Shift_date.sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces from data

Hi, I want to remove spaces from data. Data is: 1,aa ,21, 22 2,a a ,23 ,24 3, ,25 ,26 output should be: 1,aa,21,22 2,a a,23,24 3, ,25,26 i.e i have to remove leading and trailing spaces.Not the space between data and also i dont want to remove the space if data is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data fetched from text file and save in a csv file

Hi i have wriiten a script which fetches the data from text file, and saves in the output in a text file itself, but i want that the output should save in different columns. I have the output like: For Channel:response_time__24.txt 1547 data points 0.339 0.299 0.448 0.581 7.380 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitkalia
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issues while sending a mail having records fetched from SQL -all in UNIX

hi-I want to write a UNIX Script which will fetch records from Oracle database.I want to store these records in a file under fields like email address,name and the transaction_id and then fetch these records from the file and send the email to individual users with their transaction ID details. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeepSalwan
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP to server, pulling data and removing the data

Hi all, I have the following script, but are not too sure about the syntax to complete the script. In essence, the script must connect to a SFTP server at a client site with username and password located in a file on my server. Then change to the appropriate directory. Pull the data to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing data with pattern matching

I have the following: HH:MM:SS I want to use either % or # sign to remove :SS can somebody please provide me an example. I know how to do this in awk, but awk is too much overhead for something this simple since I will be doing this in a loop a lot of times. Thanks in advance to all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a row based on fetched value of column

Hi, I have a file which consists of two columns but the first one can be varying in length like 123456789 0abcd 123456789 0abcd 4015 0 0abcd 5000 0abcd I want to go through the file reading each line, count the number of characters in the first column and delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - Removing dots(".") from the data

Hi Friends, I have a file1 as below file1.txt 100000.||1925-01-10|00:00|1862SHERMA NAVE#1SE.||EVTON|IL|60201||22509.|BDSS|62007|2639.|26670 100001.||1935-01-10|00:00|1862NEW . YRK NO.||EVTON|IL|60201||22509.|BDSS|62007|2639.|26670. 100002.||1965-01-10|00:00|1862 IND . INC,CL... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output; unless the -h flag is used, the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ed(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -s No output is produced, only status. -h Do not print filename headers with output lines. -y Lower case letters in the pattern will also match upper case letters in the input (grep only). -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ? ' " ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character matches that character. The character ^ ($) matches the beginning (end) of a line. A . matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by * (+, ?) matches a sequence of 0 or more (1 or more, 0 or 1) matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. GREP(1)