Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cat to a file but retain header Post 302605883 by dodasajan on Friday 9th of March 2012 12:22:27 AM
Old 03-09-2012
hi bartus,
wil u please explain the concept of NR==FNR

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to retain file permissions during FTP on Solaris 5.9 ?

Hi All, I am trying to ftp a file : -rw-rw-rw- 1 oraclepbdw dba filename.txt from Machine A ( where umask is 022) to Machine B (umask 022) but the file changes to -rw-rw-r-- 1 ftpamle3 ftaml filename.txt Dur some constraints the group of the users on either side... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravsachan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to retain the header information of a file

Hi, I am using Bash shell to create some data and these data would be piped out to a file, let say output.txt. This output.txt I would like to add some extra header information such as comments, descriptions and general information on the text. I would like to know how could I maintain... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
0 Replies

3. Linux

Reading the header of a tar file(posix header)

say i have these many file in a directory named exam. 1)/exam/newfolder/link.txt. 2)/exam/newfolder1/ and i create a tar say exam.tar well the problem is, when i read the tar file i dont find any metadata about the directories,as you cannot create a tar containig empty directories. on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanvirk
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain file permissions when saving .sh file from internet [OS X]

Hello. I have written a bash script that I am sharing with an OS X community I am a member of. The purpose of the script is to execute a series of commands for members without them having to get involved with Terminal, as it can be daunting for those with no experience of it at all. I have renamed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baza210
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Retain Only specific number of file in Directory

I want to retain specific number of backup files in a directory.for example i want to retain only two latest backup file in backup directory. If number of backup files is greater than this policy that it will delete oldest file.Please Tell me whether this is possible or not. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranvijaidba
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain File Timestamp

There are directories of files that I have to run the dos2ux command on to get ride of the carriage return characters. Easy enough, but I have to retain the original timestamps on the files. I am thinking that I am going to have to strip off the timestamp for each file and convert it to unix time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

retain last 1000 line in a file

I have large file with around 100k+ lines. I wanted to retain only the last 100 lines in that file. One way i thought was using tail -1000 filename > filename1 mv filename1 filename But there should be a better solution.. Is there a way I can use sed or any such command to change the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

openssl dgst cat header problem

I am trying to run an old script to modify an image file with a modified header to bypass the md5 check but it comes up with an error message. The image file is for use on a Expressgate SSD so that I can add sqx files to it. This is a link from where I got the script:-... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1speedyrider
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to retain header lines in output

The awk below executes and produces the current output, which is correct, except I can not seem to include the header lines # and ## in the output as well. I tried adding !/^#/ thinking that it would skip the lines with # and output them but the entire file prints as is. Thank you :). file ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)