Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String manipulation using ksh script Post 302605864 by sdj on Thursday 8th of March 2012 07:26:18 PM
Old 03-08-2012
String manipulation using ksh script

Hi,

I need to convert string "(joe.smith" into "joe_smith"
i.e. I need to remove the leading opening brace '(' and replace the dot '.' with an under score '_'

can anyone suggest a one liner ksh script or unix command for this please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in ksh script ( String comparison )

hi , i am trying to compre two strings if ] or if ] when the length of var1 is small (around 300-400 char ) it works fine but when it is large (around 900-1000 chars) it fails is there any limitations for this type of comparison ??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarnath
3 Replies

2. AIX

Problem in ksh script ( String comparison )

hi , i am trying to compre two strings if ] or if ] when the length of var1 is small (around 300-400 char ) it works fine but when it is large (around 900-1000 chars) it fails is there any limitations for this type of comparison ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amarnath
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String manipulation using ksh

I have a UNIX shell where: LEVEL=dev SITE=here and WHEREIAM=/tmp/$SITE/location/$LEVEL I want to echo $WHEREIAM in such a way that I get it back with all the environment variables resolved (/tmp/here/location/dev). This command will be used in a shell script. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zambo
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation in ksh

Hi all, I'm trying to extract the name of a script that is being run with a full path. i.e. if the script name is /some/where/path/script_name.ksh I'd like to extract only: script_name i know that it is possible to do so in two phases: echo "${0##*/}" will give me script_name.ksh and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String format in KSH script

Hello, I am attempting to format the output of my unix ksh script. Currently looks like ... FTP TO HR : Down FTP FROM HR 4011a : Up FTP FROM HR 4019a : Down FTP FROM HR : Down Would like the status to be aligned as follows: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvella
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eval Tricky Manipulation of Arry in KSH - Help

Hi, Could any one share the intelligence to track this problem. I have any array BT_META_36 and it prints properly with contents of array. # print "BT_META_36=${BT_META_36}" # BT_META_36=cab3,cab4:HDS:052,07A cab3,cab4:HDS:052,07A Now I have a BT_META_36 assigned to a variable.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed string manipulation in shell script

Hello, I have 1000 of sql queries and i need to push column value in query. e.g. SET INSERT_ID=1 INSERT INTO test (id,name) VALUES ('a'); SET INSERT_ID=2 INSERT INTO test (id,name) VALUES ('b'); SET INSERT_ID=3 INSERT INTO test (id,name) VALUES ('c'); SET INSERT_ID=4 INSERT INTO test... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - need to write a script to abbreviate a string

Dear Members, I have to write a UNIX script (KSH) to create a 6 letter abbreviation from a given string. The string will have alphabets and underscores only. e.g. abc_pst_xyz is our string and I have to create an abbreviation which will look like 'abpsxy' or 'abcpyz' etc. Now comes the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting part of a string : string manipulation

i have something like this... echo "teCertificateId" | awk -F'Id' '{ print $1 }' | awk -F'te' '{ print $2 }' Certifica the awk should remove 'te' only if it is present at the start of the string.. anywhere else it should ignore it. expected output is Certificate (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh String Manipulation - removing variables from within a variable

Hi. I'd like to remove all values in a string variable that also exist in a second variable. What is the appropriate approach to take here? I can use a 'For' loop and check each element and then populate a new string. But is there a cleaner, simpler way? E.g. I have the following 2 variables ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
19 Replies
qmail-users(5)                                                  File Formats Manual                                                 qmail-users(5)

NAME
qmail-users - assign mail addresses to users OVERVIEW
The file /var/lib/qmail/users/assign assigns addresses to users. For example, =joe.shmoe:joe:503:78:/home/joe::: says that mail for joe.shmoe should be delivered to user joe, with uid 503 and gid 78, as specified by /home/joe/.qmail. Assignments fed to qmail-newu will be used by qmail-lspawn to control qmail-local's deliveries. See qmail-newu(8). A change to /var/lib/qmail/users/assign will have no effect until qmail-newu is run. STRUCTURE
/var/lib/qmail/users/assign is a series of assignments, one per line. It ends with a line containing a single dot. Lines must not contain NUL. SIMPLE ASSIGNMENTS
A simple assignment is a line of the form =local:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:ext: Here local is an address; user, uid, and gid are the account name, uid, and gid of the user in charge of local; and messages to local will be controlled by homedir/.qmaildashext. If there are several assignments for the same local address, qmail-lspawn will use the first one. local is interpreted without regard to case. WILDCARD ASSIGNMENTS
A wildcard assignment is a line of the form +loc:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:pre: This assignment applies to any address beginning with loc, including loc itself. It means the same as =locext:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:preext: for every string ext. A more specific wildcard assignment overrides a less specific assignment, and a simple assignment overrides any wildcard assignment. For example: +:alias:7790:2108:/var/lib/qmail/alias:-:: +joe-:joe:507:100:/home/joe:-:: =joe:joe:507:100:/home/joe::: The address joe is handled by the third line; the address joe-direct is handled by the second line; the address bill is handled by the first line. SEE ALSO
qmail-pw2u(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-users(5)