Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Prize of being an Admin
The Lounge War Stories Prize of being an Admin Post 302605844 by admin_xor on Thursday 8th of March 2012 04:39:05 PM
Old 03-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedkandi
..dont get me started on the 1st level support guy whom renamed a system to a single numeric value of "2" His excuse was that he wasn't aware what uname -S does in UNIX..last I checked he's still there
This is funny!! Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

fresh admin

hi everybody i'm just recreuted as UNIX system admin... please tell me from where do i have to begin... best regards (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Tape Admin

Tape: Need tape library help please. Need to configure a remote admin card in the L100. Anything helpful.....thxs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwinix77
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

note for admin

i left a message for admin in the wrong thread.. it is in the what is on your mind thread since i can't move it or delete it.. i thought I would mention that I meant it to be in this thread.. sorry about the mistake.. thanx for your patience moxxx68 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

5. War Stories

Prize of being an Admin - Part 2

I was reading this thread of admin_xor Prize of being an Admin and thought will share this experience of mine which is kind of opposite to what he did - I didn't tell anybody what happened :D We were porting one of the subsystem from Solaris to Linux. As part of that we developed many wrapper... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
23 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
UNAME(1)						      General Commands Manual							  UNAME(1)

NAME
uname - display information about the system SYNOPSIS
uname [-amnrsv] DESCRIPTION
The uname command writes the name of the operating system implementation to standard output. When options are specified, strings repre- senting one or more system characteristics are written to standard output. The options are as follows: -a Behave as though the options -m, -n, -r , -s, and -v were specified. -m Write the type of the current hardware platform to standard output. -n Write the name of the system to standard output. -r Write the current release level of the operating system to standard output. -s Write the name of the operating system implementation to standard output. -v Write the version level of this release of the operating system to standard output. If the -a flag is specified, or multiple flags are specified, all output is written on a single line, separated by spaces. The uname utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
sysctl(8), sysctl(3), uname(3) HISTORY
The uname command appeared in 4.4BSD. STANDARDS
The command is expected to conform to the IEEE Std1003.2 (``POSIX'') specification. 4th Berkeley Distribution February 4, 1995 UNAME(1)