Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with mv command
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Problem with mv command Post 302605702 by vbe on Thursday 8th of March 2012 09:19:46 AM
Old 03-08-2012
Unless you have more than one file matching the criteria... (which is not the case of prod.log (no joker...) here you are right...) in which case pludi's post explains what happens...
here:
Code:
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ ll prod*
-rw-r--r--   1 vbe      user         0 Mar  8 15:23 prod.log
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ touch prod.1log
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ touch prod.2log
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ touch prod3.log
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ r ll
ll prod*
-rw-r--r--   1 vbe      user         0 Mar  8 15:24 prod.1log
-rw-r--r--   1 vbe      user         0 Mar  8 15:24 prod.2log
-rw-r--r--   1 vbe      user         0 Mar  8 15:24 prod3.log
slo4:/export/home/vbe $
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ mv prod.log
mv: Insufficient arguments (1)
Usage: mv [-f] [-i] f1 f2
       mv [-f] [-i] f1 ... fn d1
       mv [-f] [-i] d1 d2
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ mv prod*log
mv: Target prod3.log must be a directory
       mv [-f] [-i] d1 d2
ll prod*
-rw-r--r--   1 vbe      user         0 Mar  8 15:24 prod3.log
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ mv prod.*log
mv: Target prod.log must be a directory
       mv [-f] [-i] d1 d2
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ mv prod*.log
ll prod*
-rw-r--r--   1 vbe      user         0 Mar  8 15:23 prod3.log

prod.log was canibalized by prod3.log...

Last edited by vbe; 03-08-2012 at 10:32 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with who command

Sorry for my poor english. Unix is SCO ODT ver 3.0 Mine problem is : when I login via some terminal emulator and type : who am i I see information like this : username ttyp02 Feb 28 09:53 after logoff and type who command (from some other terminal) I see that ttyp02 is still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bane_yu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with ps command??

I have a problem to.... (1).List the number of unique users that has active processes. (2).List the number of active processes for each of the users in (1). (3).Determine total memory usage for each user. Help me please....thank you. Best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robocup
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with dd command or maybe AFS problem

Hi, folks. Sorry for bothering, but maybe someone could help me please. The problem is the following: there is some script that copies files from local file system to AFS. The copying is performed with dd command. The script copies data into some AFS volumes. The problem appeared with one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anta
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with output of find command being input to basename command...

Hi, I am triying to make sure that there exists only one file with the pattern abc* in path /path/. This directory is having many huge files. If there is only one file then I have to take its complete name only to use furter in my script. I am planning to do like this: if ; then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

5. Solaris

problem with ps command

Hi all I use to run sql loader inside a script with usename and password written in syntax. Now when I use 'ps' command to know about the status of loading, it also shows username and password that I don't want to share with someone who is sitting with me. If you have any idea except encryption... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with command tr

Hello, excuse me for my english, i'm a french man. I have a problem with the command tr in applescript (with the accent...in french we have a lot of accents), i have read that is a problem with the version 10.5 of leopard then i would want to download the version 10.4 of universal binary of tr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: protocomm
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

please help me in if command problem

Please help me this script !!!! Script ***** a=2.0.0.0 b=1.0.0.0 #if test $a -ge $b if then echo "A is Greater than B" else echo "B is Greater than A" fi i am getting following error >sh abc abc: line 6: [: 2.0.0.0: integer expression expected (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with mv command and touch command

Hi guys, first of all I would say that this is my first time I write in a Forum. I've read the "forum rules" and I hope i will respect them. I searched everywhere for the solution of my problem but I didn't find anything. Here my problem: I'm using a sap job scheduler: in a particular job... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antcam
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with tr command

Hi friends, Today I found one strange behaviour of the tr command. I used the following command: echo "NEE"|tr Sometimes it was giving "nee" as ouput . sometimes it was giving "NEE" as output. Finally I used the below code: echo "NEE"|tr "" "" ... and it gave me the correct... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
17 Replies

10. AIX

I'm facing problem with rpm command, when running the command and appears this error:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /usr/opt/freeware/bin/rpm because of the following errors: 0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.1). 0509-150 Dependent module /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a(shr4.o) could not be loaded. 0509-152 Member... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohmkar
4 Replies
BOOM(1) 						     CAO-VLSI Reference Manual							   BOOM(1)

NAME
BOOM - BOOlean Minimization ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSIS
boom [-VTOAP] [-l num] [-d num] [-i num] [-a num] [-sjbgpwtmorn] filename [outname] DESCRIPTION
BOOM is used for the first step of the synthesis process. It optimizes a behavioural description using a Reduced Ordered Binary Decision Diagram representation of logic functions. The file filename is the input behavioural description and must be written in vbe(5) format. The resulting behavioural optimized description is saved with the name outname or input_name_o in vbe(5) format. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
MBK_WORK_LIB(1) indicates the path to the read/write directory for the session. OPTIONS
-V Verbose mode on. Each step of the optimization is displayed on the standard output. -T Trace mode on. Some debug informations are displayed on the standard output. -O Reverses initial Bdd variables order. -A BOOM performs a local optimization and keeps the architecture of the initial description by saving most of the intermediate sig- nals. This mode is well-suited for big or regular circuits such as multipliers, adders. By default BOOM performs a global opti- mization and removes most of the intermediate signals so that the outputs are expressed in terms of the inputs or the internal registers. This mode is well-suited for random circuits such as FSMs. -P Uses a parameter file input_name.boom describing optimization directives and constraints. (see below for the exact syntax) # Example of .boom file # # The list of auxiliary signals that have to be kept # during optimization. # Generally carry signals, ram address signals etc ... # BEGIN_KEEP carry[3:0] ram_address[3:0] END # # The list of auxiliary signals which assigned # expression won't be modified. # Generally it's ram output signals. # BEGIN_DONT_TOUCH ram_out[7:0] END -l num Specifies the optimization level [0-3] (default is 0, low level). -d num Specifies the delay optimization percent (default is 0% delay, 100% surface). -i num Specifies the number of iterations for the choosen optimization algorithm (for experts only). -a num Specifies the amplitude during bdd reordering (for experts only). -sjbgpwtmorn Specifies which algorithm has to be used for the boolean optimization. SEE ALSO
boom(5), vbe(5), asimut(1), boog(1), MBK_WORK_LIB(1). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 August 25, 2000 BOOM(1)