Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting URGENT HELP: problem with mv command Post 302605647 by siteregsam on Thursday 8th of March 2012 05:01:51 AM
Old 03-08-2012
Java URGENT HELP: problem with mv command

I was trying to move a file to a particular directory. In a hurry i forgot to give the dest directory, as below

Code:

mv prod.log

The file disappeared. Smilie
Any idea where it might have moved???

And I have tried moving files based on date from one directory to another as below.

Code:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 plttux edwprod 6130 Mar 8 01:07 XXX_20120308.tar.Z
-rw-rw-rw- 1 plttux edwprod 51 Mar 8 01:15 XXX_20120308_COMPLETE
$ mv *20120308*
$ mv *20120308* karthi

$ cd karthi
$ ls -ltr
total XXXXX
-rw-rw-rw- 1 plttux edwprod 20546 Mar 7 09:14 XXX_20120307.tar.Z
-rw-rw-rw- 1 plttux edwprod 51 Mar 7 09:16 XXX_20120307_COMPLETE
-rw-rw-rw- 1 plttux edwprod 6130 Mar 8 01:07 XXX_20120308_COMPLETE

It seems the content of the file "XXX_20120308.tar.Z" was copied in the name "XXX_20120308_COMPLETE", I assume this from the file size(6130).

Any idea why the file(XXX_20120308.tar.Z) is missing?? Smilie

Thanks in adv....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help urgent problem

i accedently "deleted" all workspaces I have a black screen and dont know what to do solaris common desktop enviroment (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssshakir
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

urgent: problem with find command

find / * -print > /var/tmp/updatedfilelist.txt 2>&1 i need to run the above file in cron. problem is, this process takes a long long long time to finish up. and even worse, it fills up the directory the output file is located in. i dont want the /var directory to ge filled up because of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
10 Replies

3. HP-UX

Urgent printing problem

I can no longer print from HP-UX 10. All the printers are network printers. I have already stopped and restarted the spooler (lpshut and lpsched), but still the same problem. The printers react when I ping them. I have also tried with SAM, but the system cannot find the printers. Can somebody... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filipd
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

date problem -- URGENT

Hi All, When i run date command at unix prompt, i get the output in format Tue Aug 29 12:36:18 GMT 2006 when i write the shell script i should be able to export the date output with format as YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS into some variable(ex : dateop). and when i say echo ${dateop} i should... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in unzipping---URGENT

when try to unzip a very big file facing an error of disk full. can any body help me to unzip this file . $ unzip abc.zip Archive: abc.zip inflating: abc.zrp abc.zip write error (disk full?). Continue? (y/n/^C) $ n Thanks & Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Tail command --urgent pls

eg: If I execute an example tail statement to put rows from one file to another, it truncates some of the data. /carrier>wc -l IntIndA.txt 1918 IntIndA.txt /carrier>tail -1918 IntIndA.txt > test /carrier>wc -l test 132 test The tail command should copy 1918 rows to test file instead of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbukns
4 Replies

7. AIX

URGENT --problem in unzipping

when try to unzip a very big file facing an error of disk full. can any body help me to unzip this file . $ unzip abc.zip Archive: abc.zip inflating: abc.zrp abc.zip write error (disk full?). Continue? (y/n/^C) $ n Thanks & Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent: ACCESS PROBLEM

Hi I have users A and B in UNIX system both are not having root priveleges. User A has written a script file where it connects to database and uses a logfile directed to the path in directory of USER B. I copied the script into USER B directory and tried to run the script. Its giving... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

urgent: script problem???

#!/usr/bin/sh read file #exec 3<&0 exec 0<$file while read line do if then BOUND=$line break fi count=`expr $count + 1` done #exec 0<&3 echo $BOUND sh check.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Find command urgent help!!

hi I used find command to find some file names as per input from user. I used it for current directory. It was working fine. Now I tried with giving some other directory path. Its giving issues. Here what I tried. Script will take input from user say 1_abc.txt, find the file and print list. if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
1 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)