Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting line carriage return characters Post 302605641 by vbe on Thursday 8th of March 2012 04:37:06 AM
Old 03-08-2012
ux2dos or unix2dos (depending your unix flavour...) utilities are for that purpose...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing carriage return characters from file

Hello there, I need to remove carriage return characters (\n and \r) from any input file specified. This is what I am doing right now: - dumping the file to octal format using the command 'od -c file_name - removing and \s and \n characters using sed commands What I need to do now is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: b1saini
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

carriage return/line feeds

Hello, I have a file that has got carriage returns in it and I want to take them out. Anyone know how I can do this in a ksh? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitstop
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert carriage return before line feed?

I am doing some edi where translations had to be run on unix. Generally when I run the translations on windows, the output file has both carriage returns and line feed where as when ran on unix will have only line feed. I need to insert carriage return before the line feed. Is there some tool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: huey ing
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove carriage return between the line

Hi, I have a situation where I need to remove the carriage return between the lines. For.eg. The input file: 1,ad,"adc sdfd",edf 2,asd,"def fde",asd The output file should be 1,ad,adc sdfd,edf 2,asd,def fde,asd Thanks Shash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip carriage return & append next line

Hello everyone, I am trying to search a file for lines that start with 'ip:' and have a carriage return after(ip:$). I then want to remove the carriage return from that line and append the next line in the file to the line containing 'ip'. I tried doing this with SED, but had no luck. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
3 Replies

6. Programming

Carriage return or line feed issues

I keep running into the same problem with the following script. Every time it prints the carrage (line feed) char when I test. I believe that the issue is in the group by but I do not see it. The code is as follows. SET FEED OFF SET ECHO OFF SET HEADING OFF SET LINESIZE 1000 SET PAGESIZE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sherrod6970
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a carriage return at end of each line

Hi All, I am reading two files and writing out the file name and count of lines in each file to an output file. My script looks like this: echo "input_file1.out;`wc -l < input_file1.out | sed 's/^]*\(.*\)]*$/\1/'` " > comp_file1.out echo "input_file2.out;`wc -l < input_file2.out | sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - multiple line carriage return

Hello! I have one strange question - let's say I have a long, multiple-line string displayed on the terminal using echo, and I would like to make a carriage return to the beginning of this string, no to the beginning of the last line - is something like that possible? I would like to be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help to delete carriage return and new line in csv file

Hi All, I have a problem loading the data from a csv file As you see below in the Input ,For the Data starting with " there are 2 lines, which i want to make them into single without changing the format of that data. You can see the desired output below: While i try to open the csv file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return and append the next line

Hi All, My requirement is to remove the carriage return in from the lines which i am reading if the length is lesser than 1330 and append the next line with it. Below is the realistic example of file structure. Input file: Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
16 Replies
ASA(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    ASA(1)

NAME
asa -- interpret carriage-control characters SYNOPSIS
asa [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The asa utility reads files sequentially, mapping FORTRAN carriage-control characters to line-printer control sequences, and writes them to the standard output. The first character of each line is interpreted as a carriage-control character. The following characters are interpreted as follows: <space> Output the rest of the line without change. 0 Output a <newline> character before printing the rest of the line. 1 Output a <formfeed> character before printing the rest of the line. + The trailing <newline> of the previous line is replaced by a <carriage-return> before printing the rest of the line. Lines beginning with characters other than the above are treated as if they begin with <space>. EXIT STATUS
The asa utility exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To view a file containing the output of a FORTRAN program: asa file To format the output of a FORTRAN program and redirect it to a line-printer: a.out | asa | lpr SEE ALSO
f77(1) STANDARDS
The asa utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') and to X/Open Commands and Utilities Issue 5 (``XCU5''). AUTHORS
J.T. Conklin, Winning Strategies, Inc. BSD
September 23, 1993 BSD