Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with awk trim
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with awk trim Post 302605534 by pinnacle on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 04:49:39 PM
Old 03-07-2012
Help with awk trim

I am trying to trim spaces for the fixed width file starting from location 129 and of length 20.

I am expecting only around 40 records that will have length greater than 9. But i am getting around 4000 records.

Please help me correct the following.

Code:
nawk '{if (a=length(gsub(/ */,"",substr($0,129,20)))>9); print $a }' testfile |wc -l

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim whitespace?

I'm trying to find a command that will trim the white space off a string. e.g. $str = " stuf " $str = trim ( $str ) echo $str // ouput would just be stuf Thanks, Mark (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msteudel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim white spaces using awk

Hi, I have a CSV file with footer information as below. The third value is the number of records in the file. Sometimes it contains both leading and trailing white spaces which i want to trim using awk. C,FOOTER , 00000642 C,FOOTER , 00000707 C, FOOTER,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mona
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim

Hello, I am passing a filename to a script to draw parameters from it. However, I want to use part of the filename as a parameter. The filename is transfer_ccf_3731_10.sh but I only need the 3731_10 part of it. Is this possible? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Regards, J. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trim file

Hi, I have a 6G log , which is unusual to read and I want to minimize it by removing some part on the upper portion( around 4GB). what should i do? can you please help me? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim inside awk

Hi all, I am using qwk to parse the logfile. The code like awk ' { if($0 > " ") { MSISDN=substr($0,1,10) HOUR=substr($0,11,6); ID_SA_SOURCE=substr($0,17,18); ID_SA_DEST=substr($0,35,18); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting fields and doing trim in awk

hi, I have this code: #!/usr/bin/ksh #SERVICES gzcat *SERVICES* | awk ' { SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=substr($0,1,20) SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=trim(SUBSCRIBERNUMBER) SERVICECODE=substr($0,22,61) SERVICECODE=trim(SERVICECODE) STARTDD=substr($0,63,72) STARTDD=trim(STARTDD) STARTDT=substr($0,74,81)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naoseionome
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK?

Hey Everybody, I am having much trouble figuring this out, as I am not really a programmer..:mad: Datafile.txt Column0 Column1 Column2 ABC DEF xxxGHI I am running using WGET on a cronjob to grab a datafile, but I need to cut the first three characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickdini
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - trim white space from a field / variable

Hi, Consider the data (FS = |): 1| England |end 2| New Zealand |end 3|Australia|end 4| Some Made Up Country |end 5| West Indies|end I want the output to be (i.e. without the leading and trailing white space from $2) England New Zealand Australia Some Made Up Country West... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim Space

In Shell, I have output of a unix command as test1 test2015 but I want it as test1 test2015 can anyone help me out. Use code tags, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OscarS
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim using sed/awk

How to remove using the sed/awk if the rows are starting with any numbers till "-" character. from the below sample output and expected results. Sample looks like below : 704 - sample - test 5500 - line2 449 - line3 44 - line4 Line5 Expected - sample - test line2 line3 line4... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_hp
5 Replies
TCFMGR(1)							   Tokyo Cabinet							 TCFMGR(1)

NAME
tcfmgr - the command line utility of the fixed-length database API DESCRIPTION
The command `tcfmgr' is a utility for test and debugging of the fixed-length database API and its applications. `path' specifies the path of a database file. `width' specifies the width of the value of each record. `limsiz' specifies the limit size of the database file. `key' specifies the key of a record. `value' specifies the value of a record. `file' specifies the input file. tcfmgr create path [width [limsiz]] Create a database file. tcfmgr inform [-nl|-nb] path Print miscellaneous information to the standard output. tcfmgr put [-nl|-nb] [-sx] [-dk|-dc|-dai|-dad] path key value Store a record. tcfmgr out [-nl|-nb] [-sx] path key Remove a record. tcfmgr get [-nl|-nb] [-sx] [-px] [-pz] path key Print the value of a record. tcfmgr list [-nl|-nb] [-m num] [-pv] [-px] [-rb lkey ukey] [-ri str] path Print keys of all records, separated by line feeds. tcfmgr optimize [-nl|-nb] path [width [limsiz]] Optimize a database file. tcfmgr importtsv [-nl|-nb] [-sc] path [file] Store records of TSV in each line of a file. tcfmgr version Print the version information of Tokyo Cabinet. Options feature the following. -nl : enable the option `FDBNOLCK'. -nb : enable the option `FDBLCKNB'. -sx : the input data is evaluated as a hexadecimal data string. -dk : use the function `tcfdbputkeep' instead of `tcfdbput'. -dc : use the function `tcfdbputcat' instead of `tcfdbput'. -dai : use the function `tcfdbaddint' instead of `tcfdbput'. -dad : use the function `tcfdbadddouble' instead of `tcfdbput'. -px : the output data is converted into a hexadecimal data string. -pz : do not append line feed at the end of the output. -m num : specify the maximum number of the output. -pv : print values of records also. -rb lkey ukey : specify the range of keys. -ri str : specify the interval notation of keys. -sc : normalize keys as lower cases. This command returns 0 on success, another on failure. SEE ALSO
tcftest(1), tcfmttest(1), tcfdb(3), tokyocabinet(3) Man Page 2012-08-18 TCFMGR(1)