Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Centos 4 32 bit - New kernel ethX MAC address order issue Post 302605507 by Corona688 on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 03:04:19 PM
Old 03-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54g
PCI slots do not reorder themselves.
Of course not; humans do it.

Or kernel upgrades.
Quote:
I'm not pulling this out of my rump, it is what the last few companies I have worked for have done, specifically to make sure that consistent device names were kept.
You know the saying, once bitten, twice shy? I have attempted to do as you say. Identical software would work on some systems but not others, and the ordering or the ability to reorder eth0 names broke every other udev upgrade. If it works for you, don't let anyone sneeze on it, because that could just be a happy accident.

Renaming one device overtop another just isn't trivial, it's full of pitfalls and race conditions; the best way to avoid them IMHO is to just not do it. Rename them something the kernel doesn't claim, and you won't have anything getting there first.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to Achive IP address through MAC(Ethernet) address

Hi sir, i want to make such programe which takes MAC(Ethernet) address of any host & give me its IP address....... but i'm nt getting that how i can pass the MAC address to Frame........ Please give me an idea for making such program... Thanks & regards Krishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnacins
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Change 32 bit to 64 bit Kernel

Hi, I'm using HPUX 11.11 on Vizualize B180L our productive machines have 64 bit kernel # file vmunix vmunix: ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64) I got one test system, which should have the same HW (i was told it is the same HW) hpuxtest:/stand-->file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

4. Linux

Centos 5 install. Partion order

I can't control the partion order during install. For example i need. hda5 /var 1GB hda6 /opt 2GB I created them in such order but OS adjust them to hda5 /opt 2GB hda6 /var 1GB It is frustrating during install, I pretty sure I can order the partion as i like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
0 Replies

5. Linux

Memory issue on My CentOS 5.8 x64 bit server

Hello, I am using CentOS 5.8 x64 server for our one of internal application which is developed on PHP and Mysql as DB. Currently there are 8-10 instances deployed on this server some of them are rarely used. Below is the H/W specification fort the same :- Procesor :- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
6 Replies

6. IP Networking

MAC Address - Four Interfaces with the same MAC Address

four interfaces with ifconfig all interfaces have the same mac. If is not set for unique. but it still works. what difference does it make to have all macs the same or different? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrodgers
4 Replies
DEVICE_RENAME(9)					   Device drivers infrastructure					  DEVICE_RENAME(9)

NAME
device_rename - renames a device SYNOPSIS
int device_rename(struct device * dev, const char * new_name); ARGUMENTS
dev the pointer to the struct device to be renamed new_name the new name of the device DESCRIPTION
It is the responsibility of the caller to provide mutual exclusion between two different calls of device_rename on the same device to ensure that new_name is valid and won't conflict with other devices. NOTE
Don't call this function. Currently, the networking layer calls this function, but that will change. The following text from Kay Sievers offers SOME INSIGHT
Renaming devices is racy at many levels, symlinks and other stuff are not replaced atomically, and you get a "move" uevent, but it's not easy to connect the event to the old and new device. Device nodes are not renamed at all, there isn't even support for that in the kernel now. In the meantime, during renaming, your target name might be taken by another driver, creating conflicts. Or the old name is taken directly after you renamed it -- then you get events for the same DEVPATH, before you even see the "move" event. It's just a mess, and nothing new should ever rely on kernel device renaming. Besides that, it's not even implemented now for other things than (driver-core wise very simple) network devices. We are currently about to change network renaming in udev to completely disallow renaming of devices in the same namespace as the kernel uses, because we can't solve the problems properly, that arise with swapping names of multiple interfaces without races. Means, renaming of eth[0-9]* will only be allowed to some other name than eth[0-9]*, for the aforementioned reasons. Make up a "real" name in the driver before you register anything, or add some other attributes for userspace to find the device, or use udev to add symlinks -- but never rename kernel devices later, it's a complete mess. We don't even want to get into that and try to implement the missing pieces in the core. We really have other pieces to fix in the driver core mess. :) COPYRIGHT
Kernel Hackers Manual 3.10 June 2014 DEVICE_RENAME(9)