Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help Moving Long List Of Files Into Directories Post 302605421 by balajesuri on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 11:19:20 AM
Old 03-07-2012
1. Please post the exact command you used.
2. Also, please post the output of the following commands: uname -a and echo $SHELL
This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files between directories using SFTP

I want to connect to an SFTP server, GET some files, then move those files to a different directory on the SFTP server so I don't try to GET them next time. But there doesn't seem to be a way to move files between directories on the remote server from SFTP. I missing something obvious? And if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files between directories !!

hi i have a list of directory in a text file with all directories name in a column.(this is not exactly a file but i need to do a grep and awk on a file to find that list) i have the source folders like abchome/abc/xxyz/nl_xxabc/mm// v01 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from several directories into parent

I am fairly new to bash(but am proficient in C++), and have only completed a few simple scripts. This is my first script that I actually need to do a serious task. All of my audiobooks are stored in traditional MP3 format: Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3 (which in this case is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gamendorf
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files to different directories

im trying to move media and other files which are in a specified directory to another directory and create another one if it does not exits(where the files will go),them also create a directory will the remaining files with different extensions will go.my first problem is that my script is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a long list of directories with mkdir?

Hi... Thanks to read this... I want to use mkdir to create many directories listed in a text file, let's say. How do I do this? Sorry for this maybe very basic question :) (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: setub
13 Replies