Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Centos 4 32 bit - New kernel ethX MAC address order issue Post 302605357 by Corona688 on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 10:01:10 AM
Old 03-07-2012
It can be difficult to force a device into being eth0 when there's already another eth0. For this reason, when I need to force ethernet adapters into a specific order, I name them other things -- 'wan' or 'lan0' for instance.

When -- not if -- something new autodefaults to eth0, it won't "eat" the names you're using, making the order you want impossible from the get-go.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to Achive IP address through MAC(Ethernet) address

Hi sir, i want to make such programe which takes MAC(Ethernet) address of any host & give me its IP address....... but i'm nt getting that how i can pass the MAC address to Frame........ Please give me an idea for making such program... Thanks & regards Krishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnacins
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Change 32 bit to 64 bit Kernel

Hi, I'm using HPUX 11.11 on Vizualize B180L our productive machines have 64 bit kernel # file vmunix vmunix: ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64) I got one test system, which should have the same HW (i was told it is the same HW) hpuxtest:/stand-->file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

4. Linux

Centos 5 install. Partion order

I can't control the partion order during install. For example i need. hda5 /var 1GB hda6 /opt 2GB I created them in such order but OS adjust them to hda5 /opt 2GB hda6 /var 1GB It is frustrating during install, I pretty sure I can order the partion as i like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
0 Replies

5. Linux

Memory issue on My CentOS 5.8 x64 bit server

Hello, I am using CentOS 5.8 x64 server for our one of internal application which is developed on PHP and Mysql as DB. Currently there are 8-10 instances deployed on this server some of them are rarely used. Below is the H/W specification fort the same :- Procesor :- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
6 Replies

6. IP Networking

MAC Address - Four Interfaces with the same MAC Address

four interfaces with ifconfig all interfaces have the same mac. If is not set for unique. but it still works. what difference does it make to have all macs the same or different? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrodgers
4 Replies
MAC_STUB(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       MAC_STUB(4)

NAME
mac_stub -- MAC policy stub module SYNOPSIS
To compile the sample policy into your kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: options MAC options MAC_STUB Alternately, to load the sample module at boot time, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options MAC and in loader.conf(5): mac_stub_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The mac_stub policy module implements a sample MAC policy that has no effect on access control in the system. Unlike mac_none(4), each MAC entry point is defined as a ``no-op'', so the policy module will be entered for each event, but no change in system behavior should result. Label Format No labels are defined for mac_stub. SEE ALSO
mac(4), mac_biba(4), mac_bsdextended(4), mac_ifoff(4), mac_lomac(4), mac_mls(4), mac_none(4), mac_partition(4), mac_portacl(4), mac_seeotheruids(4), mac_test(4), mac(9) HISTORY
The mac_stub policy module first appeared in FreeBSD 5.1 and was developed by the TrustedBSD Project. AUTHORS
This software was contributed to the FreeBSD Project by Network Associates Labs, the Security Research Division of Network Associates Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR contract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program. BUGS
See mac(9) concerning appropriateness for production use. The TrustedBSD MAC Framework is considered experimental in FreeBSD. While the MAC Framework design is intended to support the containment of the root user, not all attack channels are currently protected by entry point checks. As such, MAC Framework policies should not be relied on, in isolation, to protect against a malicious privileged user. BSD
December 1, 2002 BSD