Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Centos 4 32 bit - New kernel ethX MAC address order issue Post 302605353 by mark54g on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 09:57:33 AM
Old 03-07-2012
do not use the ATTR{address} construct.

Use the ID== instead and use the bus ID of the system. This way, regardless of whether you change cards or not, you will be fine.

Set your rule to look like this:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ID=="0000:01:00.0", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

That is an example. 0000:01:00.0 is a reference point. Find your own bus ID out by using:
Code:
ethtool -i eth0

Do this for all your devices, and then you can simply do a udevadm trigger or udevtrigger assuming your devices are not in use.

You may also want to modify your /boot/grub/menu.lst to include the construct pci=nobfsort on your kernel line. This will ensure that devices scan in order.

Last edited by mark54g; 03-07-2012 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: more details

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to Achive IP address through MAC(Ethernet) address

Hi sir, i want to make such programe which takes MAC(Ethernet) address of any host & give me its IP address....... but i'm nt getting that how i can pass the MAC address to Frame........ Please give me an idea for making such program... Thanks & regards Krishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnacins
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Change 32 bit to 64 bit Kernel

Hi, I'm using HPUX 11.11 on Vizualize B180L our productive machines have 64 bit kernel # file vmunix vmunix: ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64) I got one test system, which should have the same HW (i was told it is the same HW) hpuxtest:/stand-->file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

4. Linux

Centos 5 install. Partion order

I can't control the partion order during install. For example i need. hda5 /var 1GB hda6 /opt 2GB I created them in such order but OS adjust them to hda5 /opt 2GB hda6 /var 1GB It is frustrating during install, I pretty sure I can order the partion as i like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
0 Replies

5. Linux

Memory issue on My CentOS 5.8 x64 bit server

Hello, I am using CentOS 5.8 x64 server for our one of internal application which is developed on PHP and Mysql as DB. Currently there are 8-10 instances deployed on this server some of them are rarely used. Below is the H/W specification fort the same :- Procesor :- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
6 Replies

6. IP Networking

MAC Address - Four Interfaces with the same MAC Address

four interfaces with ifconfig all interfaces have the same mac. If is not set for unique. but it still works. what difference does it make to have all macs the same or different? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrodgers
4 Replies