Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding pattern matching used in a grep command Post 302605190 by agama on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 09:36:31 PM
Old 03-06-2012
Code:
echo "--help" | grep -iE '--help'

grep sees '--help' as an option.

If I were putting this into a script I'd code it this way:

Code:
echo "--help" | grep -iE --    '--help'

Extra spaces aren't needed, just set the pattern off a bit. The first pair of dashes end greps search for flags, and thus it treats --help as the pattern.

---------- Post updated at 21:36 ---------- Previous update was at 21:34 ----------

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong on the following:

In the regular expression [-]-help, the - inside the square brackets matches a character set which contains a single character ( - in this case) and the literal string "-help".
You are correct.

Last edited by agama; 03-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: removed extra jibberish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl pattern matching vs. grep

I originally had a shell script that did a grep 10 times to pull out the number of times a certain pattern occured in a file: ie... aOccurances=`grep aPattern file|wc -l` bOccurances=`grep bPattern file|wc -l` ... ... ... fOccurances=`grep fPattern file|wc -l` As the file got bigger with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: junkmail426
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using command line arguments as columns for pattern matching using awk

Hi, I wish to use a column, as inputted by a user from command line, for pattern matching. awk file: { if($1 ~ /^8/) { print $0> "temp2.csv" } } something like this, but i want '$1' to be any column as selected by the user from command line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: invinclible0009
1 Replies

3. AIX

matching pattern in 'ps' command

Hi all, I have two instance of jboss (jboss and jboss2). In a shell script that I am writing, I need to grep for each instance of jboss. If i use ps -ef|grep 'jboss', it will also return the process for my second instance of jboss, which is jboss2. Can someone tell me how can i specify the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haroon_a
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep only word matching the pattern

Hi gurus, A file contains many words in format "ABC.XXXX.XXXX.X.GET.LOG" (X->varying). Now my shell script want this list (only words in formatABC.XXXX.XXXX.X.GET.LOG ) to continue the process. Pls help me. Thanks, Poova. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issues while pattern matching using grep

Hi, I have a file f1 wi the following data f1.txt ======== Report ID Report Name ----------------------------------------------------------------- Post Requests : 2 Post successes : 2 ============================================= I need to search for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RP09
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep log file to get line above matching pattern

Hi, I have a log file that looks like this "delete" : { "_type" : "cl", "_id" : "1000600000000562636", "_version" : 1, "status" : 200, "found" : false } }, { "delete" : { "_type" : "cl", "_id" : "1000600000000562643", ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to get the latest file and also matching pattern

we want to fetch the latest file in a given directory and also the file name should match the below pattern Example file name ->hrdata-2015-10-13-16-45-26.xml(2015-10-13-16-45-26- it is not current timestamp, we just need to check for the pattern) We expect the file will have the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwanath001
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep file starting from pattern matching line

I have a file with a list of references towards the end and want to apply a grep for some string. text .... @unnumbered References @sp 1 @paragraphindent 0 2017. @strong{Chalenski, D.A.}; Wang, K.; Tatanova, Maria; Lopez, Jorge L.; Hatchell, P.; Dutta, P.; @strong{Small airgun... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect pattern matching in the command output

This is the command output need to be matched: Telnet console listening to port 42365. (the port number changes every time) Code to test it: ======================================= #!/tools/AGRtools/bin/expect exp_internal 1 set timeout 10 spawn bash set bashId $spawn_id ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marsala
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD