Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Invalid option errors running shell script Post 302605165 by ANNACTION on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 07:33:33 PM
Old 03-06-2012
Question Invalid option errors running shell script

The script below fails with the following error messages:
gzip: invalid option -- 'w'
Try `gzip --help' for more information.
mysqldump: Got errno 32 on write
cp: invalid option -- 'w'
Try `cp --help' for more information.
rm: invalid option -- 'w'
Try `rm --help' for more information.

Here's the script:

#!/bin/bash
nice -n 19 mysqldump --user=root --password=0@9fI6qukyBY --all-databases -c | nice -n 19 gzip -9 > /home/tech/'date +%Y%m%d' -wikibackup.tar.gz
cp /home/tech/'date +%Y%m%d' -wikibackup.tar.gz /mnt/dathomir
rm /home/tech/'date +%Y%m%d' -wikibackup.tar.gz

I thought that would be a common enough error message that I could quickly google an answer but I have had no luck. I appreciate any insight. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with shell script...ORA-00904:invalid identifier

Guys, Please suggest me what's wrong with this script? #!/usr/bin/sh ############################################################################## # Author : Bhagat Singh # # # Date : Nov 13,2006 #... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
12 Replies

2. Solaris

ps: 65535 is an invalid non-numeric argument for -p option

I want to figure out what is the reason of error message I have in Solaris 10. Why Solaris 10 dosn't recognize 65535? ps: 65535 is an invalid non-numeric argument for -p option usage: ps 'format' is one or more of: Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Menus - Rejecting invalid input (KSH)

Greetings all, I'm currently writing a shell script menu which is dynamically populated from an array. Have a question to ask about the filtering of invalid input. I'm using KSH. A brief description of my algorithm is as follows: 1) Read in input from user and store in a variable. (a valid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing shell script to find line of invalid characters

Hi, I have to write s script to check an input file for invalid characters. In this script I have to find the exact line of the invalid character. If the input file contain 2 invalid character sat line 10 and 17, the script will show the value 10 and 17. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner82
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compilation errors in running configure script

Hi all, I tried to cross compile Ghostscript-8.54 source. I am getting some errors during cross compilation. I have pasted the errors below. CC=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc LD=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-ld ./configure --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-unknown-linux-gnu --without-x && make ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva4ever
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

surpressing errors while running script

I have written shell script to find out pairsuspends in our environment.But when i run the script iam getting an error for the Pair which are not active.Below are the error am getting pairvolchk -g up1012 -I11 pairvolchk : execution error. pairvolchk: Unmatched CTGID within the group Refer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeebala1981
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt invalid option selection

What is the significance of the *) and ?) in the below code. while getopts a:b:c:he opt do case $opt in a) _name="$OPTARG";; b) _project="$OPTARG";; c) line="$OPTARG";; e) _cmd="XX";; h) Projects=1;; *) echo "$OPTARG is an invalid option"; my_exit 1;; ?)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command not found errors when running csh script

I am trying to find the number of files whose name starts with uni. Below is the code but it is giving error. :confused: #!/bin/csh FILES_NAME ='files_list'; FILE_NAME_PATTERN = 'uni*'; NO_OF_FILES; ls -l $FILE_NAME_PATTERN > $FILES_NAME ; NO_OF_FILES = `wc -l $FILES_NAME`; echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

top -l 1 invalid option.

Hi, I am using below command to get the High CPU Utilization. top -l 1| awk ‘/CPU usage/ {print $12, $13}’ I am getting below error. ksh: 1: parameter not set top: illegal option -- l Usage: top Usage: awk ... Could you please suggest the appropriate solution. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahab
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find invalid URL in a text file using shell script?

How to find and remove invalid URLs in a text file using shell script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 10/22/2012 BF_TAR(1)