Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help in editing a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in editing a file Post 302604994 by balajesuri on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 12:01:05 PM
Old 03-06-2012
If your native OS is windows, scp it to local and open it in a text editor or gvim.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Editing the end of the file without loading the entire file

hi! I am a newbee. I would really appreciate if you can answer the following question: I have a huge data file, 214MB with several coloumns. I need to delete the very last line of the file. Everything I know takes a lot of time to do it ( because I have to open the file in an editor or run a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garuda
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing file

Hi, I am in a situation wherein am getting file file certailn values suppose 1u56979hhghhklklkkkjkjkjk 0 0 0 The file will have values like above only. I need to add another field of NULL value(of length 9) at the end of first column i.e. It should like this after editing:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul303
4 Replies

3. Linux

file editing

I have created a file with vi -x (file name) this is encrypted file when i again open this file it ask me to enter a password before editing it.Can i remove this password but i don't want to delete a file how to do this. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambavaram
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing a File

Hi all, I have a file with following contents # rad124 # radkus # raddebug # radtrace I could like to remove the # and space present before the key word "rad". Any ways to do this using "subsitution method(:%s/old/new/g)" will be hepful. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkriz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file editing

how to remove duplicate word in a file ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file editing while keeping file format intact

Hi, I am having a file which is fix length and comma seperated. And I want to replace values for one column. I am reading file line by line in variable $LINE and then replacing the string. Problem is after changing value and writing new file temp5.txt, formating of original file is getting... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mruda
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing line in text file adding number to value in file

I have a text file that has data like: Data "12345#22" Fred ID 12345 Age 45 Wilma Dino Data "123#22" Tarzan ID 123 Age 33 Jane I need to figure out a way of adding 1,000,000 to the specific lines (always same format) in the file, so it becomes: Data "1012345#22" Fred ID... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File editing

Hi All, I've to edit the below file in the Current File: XXX Rows found with null for one or more non-nullable columns in the source table SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ( SELECT 1 as one FROM datum WHERE:wall: datum.ID IS NULL ) a (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udayakumar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Editing

Never mind!. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smarones
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert vi editing to text editing

Dear Guru's I'm using Putty and want to edit a file. I know we generally use vi editor to do it. As I'm not good in using vi editor, I want to convert the vi into something like text pad. Is there any option in Putty to do the same ? Thanks for your response. Srini (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
6 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/local/lib/vim/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/local/lib/vim/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)