Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NFS4 mount
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat NFS4 mount Post 302604880 by Tommyk on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 08:49:40 AM
Old 03-06-2012
Just another note which i guess makes sense but still seems a bit weird.

When i mount another client using the same settings, i can see the directory called "test" that i created on the first client, but i still cannot see it on the NFS server itself.

So it must be mounted and writing to the NFS server even though i can't see that file on the NFS server, and its not returning the correct filesystem sizing information within a df command.

one more question. do i only need the fsid=0 in the pseudo filesystem export settings or do i need fsid=0 in every filesystem that is exported in the "/etc/exports" file

---------- Post updated at 13:49 ---------- Previous update was at 13:40 ----------

fpmurphy,

My DBA colleague has asked me to setup the NFS share using NFS version 4, the setup of NFS version 4 requires a pseudo filesystem master filesystem. I was following the documentation i found in another post given on this website, here.

This is also a test as we are planning to have a whole host of filesystems being exported from this server using NFS version 4 so i need to get the specifics right first in a smaller environment before being rolled out to multiple servers and systems.

Again, the mounting of swstage:/ under version 4 works differently as this is not the root filesystem it is the pseudo filesystem that it mounts, again all explained in the documentation i was following.

I do appreciate your help with this matter.
Tom

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mount a hotswap scsi drive on a solaris 2.6 netra box using the mount command?

Hi... question is this: How do I mount an LVD hotswap scsi drive in bay #2 on a netra using the mount command? volmgt doesn't seem to mount it and/or I don't know how to view the drives data if it's formatted which it may not be. This drive is not new out of the box so I'm not sure. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulshaker
4 Replies

2. AIX

NFS4 with KERBEROS

I was wondering if any of you have used NFS4 with KERBEROS in a HACMP setup and environment with more than 1 resourcegroup that has NFS mount in them. I Configures the host keys for an Network File System (NFS) server I get stuck with the nfshostkey I can only add one at a time per system so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravager
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount -t cifs permission denied by mount -t smbfs works fine

I am having trouble mounting with cifs, but mounting the exact same command with smbfs works fine. The share is on another samba server and is set to full public guest access. # mount -t cifs //servername/sharename /mnt/temp -o password="" mount error 13 = Permission denied Refer to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humbletech99
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NFS4 locking file question

All, Just wondering if someone has a file open on client A for writing and it is locked, is that file still readable from client A or B? Basically I'm just wanting to know if a file is opened already, can it still be opened for read only? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

NFS4 Ldap Automount issue

OK, I'm running low on patience with how this is working out. I have a RHEL 5.4 64bit server running 389 directory services and NFS4. I set up the schema for automount, and I am having some issues. I'm relatively new to both LDAP and Automount, and NFS4 has thrown me some curves vs NFS2/3.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark54g
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

NFS4 Mount issue - ASAP

Hi, I am trying to mount via nfs4 # mount -t nfs4 10.1.56.16:/Apps /works/apps/xyz Error: Warning rpc.idmapd apperas not to be running all uids will be mapped to the nobody uid mount to NFS server "10.1.56.16' failed RPC error: program/version mismatched pls help - this is coming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

NFS4 and acl: perfect on Slackware,not working on centos6,why?

I have a problem with acl and nfs4 on centos. On Slackware clients nfs4 fs mounted works fine,acl (posix,not nfs acl) is respected. On Centos 6.4 very strange thing..acl is not working on nfs4. nfsmount.conf and idmapd.conf are the same on all client and kernel options on nfs acl are the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to mount nas-share using generated credentials (mount EC 13,32)

Heyas At home i have 1 nas with 3 shares, of which i used to mount 2 of them using a script with hardcoded password and username in it. EDIT: Turns out, its not the script, but 'how i access' the nas share.. (-o user=XY,password=... VS. -o credentials=...). Figured about credential files,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies

9. AIX

Showmount don't show NFS4

Configure nfs4 on aix ok i did all chnfsdom #return correct domain chnfs -r /export chnfs -p /export configured and shared pseudo root #etc/exports /export -nfsroot /var/pubblica -exname=/export/pubblica,vers=4,sec=sys:krb5p:krb5i:krb5:dh,rw exportfs -a mount correct mount... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
1 Replies

10. AIX

How to make NFS4 mount permanent ?

Hello, I'm able to mount NFSv3 shares permanently (/etc/filesystems) via smitty nfs. />lsfs -a Name Nodename Mount Pt VFS Size Options Auto Accounting /dev/hd4 -- / jfs2 2097152 -- yes no /dev/hd1 -- ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
nfssec(5)																 nfssec(5)

NAME
nfssec - overview of NFS security modes The mount_nfs(1M) and share_nfs(1M) commands each provide a way to specify the security mode to be used on an NFS file system through the sec=mode option. mode can be sys, dh, krb5, krb5i, krb5p, or none. These security modes can also be added to the automount maps. Note that mount_nfs(1M) and automount(1M) do not support sec=none at this time. mount_nfs(1M) allows you to specify a single security mode; share_nfs(1M) allows you to specify multiple modes (or none). With multiple modes, an NFS client can choose any of the modes in the list. The sec=mode option on the share_nfs(1M) command line establishes the security mode of NFS servers. If the NFS connection uses the NFS Ver- sion 3 protocol, the NFS clients must query the server for the appropriate mode to use. If the NFS connection uses the NFS Version 2 proto- col, then the NFS client uses the default security mode, which is currently sys. NFS clients may force the use of a specific security mode by specifying the sec=mode option on the command line. However, if the file system on the server is not shared with that security mode, the client may be denied access. If the NFS client wants to authenticate the NFS server using a particular (stronger) security mode, the client wants to specify the secu- rity mode to be used, even if the connection uses the NFS Version 3 protocol. This guarantees that an attacker masquerading as the server does not compromise the client. The NFS security modes are described below. Of these, the krb5, krb5i, krb5p modes use the Kerberos V5 protocol for authenticating and pro- tecting the shared filesystems. Before these can be used, the system must be configured to be part of a Kerberos realm. See SEAM(5). sys Use AUTH_SYS authentication. The user's UNIX user-id and group-ids are passed in the clear on the network, unauthenticated by the NFS server. This is the simplest security method and requires no additional administration. It is the default used by Solaris NFS Version 2 clients and Solaris NFS servers. dh Use a Diffie-Hellman public key system (AUTH_DES, which is referred to as AUTH_DH in the forthcoming Internet RFC). krb5 Use Kerberos V5 protocol to authenticate users before granting access to the shared filesystem. krb5i Use Kerberos V5 authentication with integrity checking (checksums) to verify that the data has not been tampered with. krb5p User Kerberos V5 authentication, integrity checksums, and privacy protection (encryption) on the shared filesystem. This provides the most secure filesystem sharing, as all traffic is encrypted. It should be noted that performance might suffer on some systems when using krb5p, depending on the computational intensity of the encryption algorithm and the amount of data being transferred. none Use null authentication (AUTH_NONE). NFS clients using AUTH_NONE have no identity and are mapped to the anonymous user nobody by NFS servers. A client using a security mode other than the one with which a Solaris NFS server shares the file system has its security mode mapped to AUTH_NONE. In this case, if the file system is shared with sec=none, users from the client are mapped to the anonymous user. The NFS security mode none is supported by share_nfs(1M), but not by mount_nfs(1M) or automount(1M). /etc/nfssec.conf NFS security service configuration file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWnfscr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ automount(1M), mount_nfs(1M), share_nfs(1M), rpc_clnt_auth(3NSL), secure_rpc(3NSL), nfssec.conf(4), attributes(5) /etc/nfssec.conf lists the NFS security services. Do not edit this file. It is not intended to be user-configurable. 13 Apr 2005 nfssec(5)