Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to create rpm?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to create rpm? Post 302604777 by pinga123 on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 01:36:02 AM
Old 03-06-2012
How to create rpm?

I m referring below article for creating rpm.
Installation and Setup Rpmbuild Tutorial
As per the document i will need rpmdevtools and rpmlint to begin with.

However i have yum installed and whenever i run them i get below output.
Code:
# yum install rpmdevtools rpmlint
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
No package rpmdevtools available.
No package rpmlint available.
Nothing to do

However i tried using rpm-devel package.
Code:
# yum install rpm-devel
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Package rpm-devel-4.4.2.3-9.el5.i386 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

Is rpm-devel and rpmdevtools different as i m not able to execute other commands such as rpmdev-setuptree.

Distribution details.
Code:
# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: OracleVMserver
Description:    Oracle VM server release 2.2.0
Release:        2.2.0
Codename:       n/a

Code:
# uname -r
2.6.18-128.2.1.4.9.el5xen

m i heading in right direction?

Last edited by pinga123; 03-06-2012 at 04:52 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Converting source rpm to binary rpm

Hi, I need to install an rpm file,but I only have '.src.rpm' version of it. I want to convert it to a binary rpm. so I tried this rpm --rebuild somethin.src.rpm But I am gettin '--rebuild:Invalid option' as output Is there another way to rebuild source rpm.? Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program to create a RPM name

Hi Guru,s/Geek,s I need help to create RPM names from rpms. Example : a2ps-4.14-6.fc10.i386 perl-Email-Find-0.10-2.fc10.noarch directfb-1.2.7-2.fc10.i386 libid3tag-0.15.1b-7.fc10.i386 apr-util-1.3.7-1.fc10.i386 libquicktime-1.0.3-4.fc10.i386 The Desired Output is : a2ps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.linux1984
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract RPM name from path to .rpm file

It's the end of the day and I just can't get my head around this. I'm trying to extract just the name of the RPM from the path to a .rpm file. So from: /home/me/rpm/RPMS/i386/nagios-our-plugins-1.2-6.i386.rpmI need to extract 'nagios-our-plugins'. I can't get the awk syntax right: awk '{... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aussieos
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

If I want to create such Installer (Not RPM)

Hi All, I had created a installer (RPM), but later I came across that Netbeans (netbeans-6.9-ml-linux), Flex Builder Linux Alpha (flexbuilder_linux_install_a4_081408.bin) and JDK (jdk-6u20-linux-i586-rpm.bin) dont provide any RPM but they provide a huge binary executable shell script. My... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jw_amp
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make RPM not write to RPM database if RPM fails to deploy?

How to make RPM not write to RPM database if RPM fails to deploy? IE I create an rpm spec file that contains the following if then exit 1 fi My rpm will fail at deployment, but if I do rpm -qa , I can see the rpm in the rpm db (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create rpm from tar.gz?

I m planning to use puppet to implement organizational linux hardening policies across the linux servers. To begin with i have downloaded. puppet-2.7.1.tar.gz and tried some basic configuration to get start with puppet. Now i want to roll out the puppet but before that i would like to make... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to create RPM in RHEL5

I would like to package my developed application and deploy it using RPM to my users. Understand that RHEL5 has the following directories created: /usr/src/redhat/BUILD /usr/src/redhat/RPMS /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES /usr/src/redhat/SPECS /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS Using KDevelop as my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanlccc
0 Replies

8. Programming

How to create RPM in RHEL5

I would like to package my developed application and deploy it using RPM to my users. Understand that RHEL5 has the following directories created: /usr/src/redhat/BUILD /usr/src/redhat/RPMS /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES /usr/src/redhat/SPECS /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS Using KDevelop as my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanlccc
0 Replies

9. AIX

Rpm issue with autoconf-2.63-1.AIX6.1.noarch.rpm

dears i am trying to install the autoconf-2.63-1.aix6.1.noarch.rpm but its shows the below error message . P700_dev/svn/dependencies>rpm -i autoconf-2.63-1.aix6.1.noarch.rpm error: failed dependencies: m4 is needed by autoconf-2.63-1 P700_dev/svn/dependencies> (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to create an rpm from installed files?

i would like to package up an rpm from pre-installed files, say i have a program called "widget" installed under "/opt/widget" /opt/widget/bin/* /opt/widget/lib/* /opt/widget/etc/* /opt/widget/log/* and i want to create an rpm from those already installed files, what would the spec file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melixir
2 Replies
RPMLINT(1)							   User Commands							RPMLINT(1)

NAME
rpmlint - check common problems in rpm packages SYNOPSIS
rpmlint [OPTION]... [FILE|PACKAGE]... DESCRIPTION
rpmlint is a tool for checking common errors in rpm packages. It can be used to test individual packages and spec files before uploading or to check an entire distribution. By default all applicable checks are processed but specific checks can be performed by using command line parameters. FILE can be a rpm package file, a spec file, or a directory. In case of a directory, it is recursively searched for rpm and spec files to check. The special value - results in standard input being read and treated as (single) spec file content. PACKAGE is the name of an installed package or a glob(7) pattern to match installed packages, unless a file by that name exists. -i, --info Display explanations for reported messages. -I, --explain=messageid Display explanations for the specified message identifiers and exit. This option may be given multiple times. -c, --check=check Run only the specified check. This option may be given multiple times to specify multiple checks to run. check is the name of the Python module (as it would be given to Python's import statement) containing the check. -a, --all Check all installed packages. -C, --checkdir=dir Insert dir to the front of the list of paths to load checks from, unless it is already in the list. The default list of check dirs typically contains only /usr/share/rpmlint. Directories in the check dirs list are also inserted to the front of the list of paths to load Python modules from when the check process begins. -h, --help Display summary of command line options and exit. -v, --verbose Operate in verbose mode. -E, --extractdir=dir Base directory for extracted temporary files, default is what Python's tempfile.gettempdir() returns. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -n, --noexception Ignore output filters. --rawout=file Write unfiltered output to file. -f, --file=conffile Load user configuration from the specified file, default is $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/rpmlint (~/.config/rpmlint if $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is empty or not set). -o, --option=value Override a configuration option. value is a whitespace separated string, first word of which is the option name to set, and the Python eval() return value for the rest is set as the value for the option. Passing only an option name is treated as if None was passed as its value. See the file "config" shipped with rpmlint for the list of configuration options and their types. For exam- ple: -o "NetworkEnabled True" -o "Distribution 'My favorite distro'" -o "MaxLineLength 80" -o "ValidShells ('/bin/sh', '/bin/bash')" CAVEATS
All checks do not apply to all argument types. For best check coverage, run rpmlint on all source and binary packages your build produces. The set of checks rpmlint runs on source packages is a superset of the one for plain specfiles, the set of checks run for installed binary packages is a superset of the one for uninstalled binary package files, and the source and binary package check sets are quite different. FILES
/usr/share/rpmlint/config, /usr/share/rpmlint/config.* Built-in configuration. When invoked as someprefix-rpmlint, /usr/share/rpmlint/config.someprefix is used if it exists, otherwise /usr/share/rpmlint/config. /etc/rpmlint/*config System wide configuration. $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/rpmlint or ~/.config/rpmlint User configuration. EXIT CODES
0 No errors. 1 Unspecified error. 2 Interrupted. 64 One or more error message printed. 66 Badness threshold exceeded. AUTHOR
Originally written by Frederic Lepied, see the file AUTHORS for (probably incomplete) list of additional contributors. COPYRIGHT
This program is licensed under the GNU General Public License, see the file COPYING included in the distribution archive. rpmlint April 2011 RPMLINT(1)