Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers delete lines matching a regular expression Post 302604716 by pathunkathunk on Monday 5th of March 2012 07:22:50 PM
Old 03-05-2012
Thanks but this doesn't seem to work for me.

I tried it on my large file and did not notice a difference. Then I created a smaller test file of only 6 lines, ensuring that I used the tab key to indent every other line. Still, the output file was identical to the input.

command: sed '/^\t/ d' test2 >test2b

#test2
abc1
abc2
ab3
abc4
abc5

#test2b
abc1
abc2
ab3
abc4
abc5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression matching a new line

I have written a script to test some isdn links in my network and I am trying to format the output to be more readable. Each line of the output has a different number of digits as follows... Sitename , spid1 12345678901234 1234567890 1234567 , spid2 1234567890 1234567890 1234567 Sitename , ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drheams
1 Replies

2. Programming

Regular Expression matching in PERL

I am trying to read a file and capture particular lines into different strings: LENGTH: Some Content here TEXT: Some Content Here COMMENT: Some Content Here I want to be able to get (LENGTH: .... ) into one array and so on... I'm trying to use PERL in slurp mode but for some reason... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Regular Expression for Negate Matching String

Hi guys, as per subject I am having problem with regular expressions. Example, if i got a string "javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service" that may occurred anywhere within a text file. How can I used the negate pattern matching of regular expression? I tried the below pattern but it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression matching in BASH (equivalent of =~ in Perl)

In Perl I can write a condition that evaluates a match expression like this: if ($foo =~ /^bar/) { do blah blah blah } How do I write this in shell? What I need to know is what operator do I use? The '=~' doesn't seem to fit. I've tried different operators, I browsed the man page for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiana_tas
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression matching

Hi, I have a variable in my script that gets its value from a procstack output. It could be a number of any length, or it could just be a '1' with 0 or more white spaces around it. I would like to detect when this variable is just a 1 and not a 1234, for example. This is as far as I got: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf33uk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete the word after a regular expression

Example: Lucas RUNCYCLE Rule1 Astigmatism Robot RUNCYCLE Rule2 Jack RUNCYCLE Calendar1 June Lucy RUNCYCLE Exception4 Fear RUNCYCLE Calendar5 August In this example, how can I delete the next after the expression RUNCYCLE? (i.e. Rule1, Rule2, Calendar1, Exception1, Calendar5) I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Gamemaster
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching single quote in a regular expression

I trying to match the begining of the following line in a perl script with a regular expression. $ENV{'ORACLE_HOME'} I tried this regluar expession: /\$ENV\{\'ORACLE_HOME\'\}/ Instead of match, I got a blank prompt > It seems to be a problem with the single quote. If I take it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC9672
11 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding lines with a regular expression, replacing them with blank lines

So the tag for this forum says all newbies welcome... All I want to do is go through my file and find lines which contain a given string of characters then replace these with a blank line. I really tried to find a simple command to do this but failed. Here's what I did come up with though: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golpette
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression matching whole words

Hi Consider the file this is a good line when running grep '\b(good|great|excellent)\b' file5 I expect it to match the line but it doesn't... what am i doing wrong?? (ultimately this regex will be in a awk script- just using grep to test it) Thanks, Storms (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
5 Replies
WDMD(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   WDMD(8)

NAME
wdmd - watchdog multiplexing daemon SYNOPSIS
wdmd [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
This daemon opens /dev/watchdog and allows multiple independent sources to detmermine whether each KEEPALIVE is done. Every test interval (10 seconds), the daemon tests each source. If any test fails, the KEEPALIVE is not done. In a standard configuration, the watchdog timer will reset the system if no KEEPALIVE is done for 60 seconds ("fire timeout"). This means that if a single test fails 5-6 times in row, the watchdog will fire and reset the system. With multiple test sources, fewer separate failures back to back can also cause a reset, e.g. T seconds, P pass, F fail T00: test1 P, test2 P, test3 P: KEEPALIVE done T10: test1 F, test2 F, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T20: test1 F, test2 P, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T30: test1 P, test2 F, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T40: test1 P, test2 P, test3 F: KEEPALIVE skipped T50: test1 F, test2 F, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T60: test1 P, test2 F, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T60: watchdog fires, system resets (Depending on timings, the system may be reset sometime shortly before T60, and the tests at T60 would not be run.) A crucial aspect to the design and function of wdmd is that if any single source does not pass tests for the fire timeout, the watchdog is guaranteed to fire, regardless of whether other sources on the system have passed or failed. A spurious reset due to the combined effects of multiple failing tests as shown above, is an accepted side effect. The wdmd init script will load the softdog module if no other watchdog module has been loaded. wdmd cannot be used on the system with any other program that needs to open /dev/watchdog, e.g. watchdog(8). Test Source: clients Using libwdmd, programs connect to wdmd via a unix socket, and send regular messages to wdmd to update an expiry time for their connection. Every test interval, wdmd will check if the expiry time for a connection has been reached. If so, the test for that client fails. Test Source: scripts wdmd will run scripts from a designated directory every test interval. If a script exits with 0, the test is considered a success, other- wise a failure. If a script does not exit by the end of the test interval, it is considered a failure. OPTIONS
--version, -V Print version. --help, -h Print usage. --dump, -d Print debug information from the daemon. --probe, -p Print path of functional watchdog device. Exit code 0 indicates a functional device was found. Exit code 1 indicates a functional device was not found. -D Enable debugging to stderr and don't fork. -H 0|1 Enable (1) or disable (0) high priority features such as realtime scheduling priority and mlockall. -G name Group ownership for the socket. -S 0|1 Enable (1) or disable (0) script tests. -s path Path to scripts dir. -k num Kill unfinished scripts after num seconds. -w path The path to the watchdog device to try first. 2011-08-01 WDMD(8)