Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help parsing data with sed and/or nawk Post 302604635 by BRH on Monday 5th of March 2012 01:28:45 PM
Old 03-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg
Code:
$ cat sample1.txt
Treatment
      ,parmeter1=value
      ,parmeter2=value
      ,parmeter3=value
      ,parmeter4=value
      ,parmeter5=value
      ,parmeter6=value
      ,parmeter7=value
      ,parmeter8=value
      ,parmeter9=value
      ,parmeter10=value
      ,parmeter11=value
      ,parmeter12=value
      ,parmeter13=value
      ,parmeter14=value
      ,parmeter15=value
;;
Treatment
      ,parmeter1=value
      ,parmeter2=value
      ,parmeter3=value
      ,parmeter4=value
      ,parmeter5=value
      ,parmeter6=value
      ,parmeter7=value
      ,parmeter8=value
      ,parmeter9=value
      ,parmeter10=value
      ,parmeter11=value
      ,parmeter12=value
      ,parmeter13=value
      ,parmeter14=value
      ,parmeter15=value
;;

$ sed 's/;;/;;~/g' sample1.txt | tr -d "\n" | tr "~" "\n" | tr -s " "
Treatment ,parmeter1=value ,parmeter2=value ,parmeter3=value ,parmeter4=value ,parmeter5=value ,parmeter6=value ,parmeter7=value ,pa
rmeter8=value ,parmeter9=value ,parmeter10=value ,parmeter11=value ,parmeter12=value ,parmeter13=value ,parmeter14=value ,parmeter15
=value;;
Treatment ,parmeter1=value ,parmeter2=value ,parmeter3=value ,parmeter4=value ,parmeter5=value ,parmeter6=value ,parmeter7=value ,pa
rmeter8=value ,parmeter9=value ,parmeter10=value ,parmeter11=value ,parmeter12=value ,parmeter13=value ,parmeter14=value ,parmeter15
=value;;

I put a ~ character at end, so when I get rid of new-lines, I can put a Return back in the data. I also suppress extra blank space characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Code:
$ cat treatment.awk

BEGIN { FS="," }

!T { T=$1" "; next }
T && /^[ \t]*,/ { T=T "," $2 }
/;;/ { print T; T="" }

$ awk -f treatment.awk data

Treatment ,parmeter1=value,parmeter2=value,parmeter3=value,parmeter4=value,parmeter5=value,parmeter6=value,parmeter7=value,parmeter8=value,parmeter9=value,parmeter10=value,parmeter11=value,parmeter12=value,parmeter13=value,parmeter14=value,parmeter15=value
Treatment ,parmeter1=value,parmeter2=value,parmeter3=value,parmeter4=value,parmeter5=value,parmeter6=value,parmeter7=value,parmeter8=value,parmeter9=value,parmeter10=value,parmeter11=value,parmeter12=value,parmeter13=value,parmeter14=value,parmeter15=value

$

Thanks for the replies, Joey, Corona. However, you missed the last part of the challenge: the order of the parameters has to change as well.

Regards,
Bjoern

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sed or nawk replace RE

Dear Friends, I am trying to replace the following pattern , But I cant understand how to express the RE in this case . Please help me with a sed command to replace . (Address = 918h : Initial = 0000h : RD /WR (Address = 91Ah : Initial =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed selective data parsing

i have file in the following format *RECORD* *FIELD NO* 123456 *FIELD TX* this is a sample entry *FIELD SA* See Also *FIELD RF* References *FIELD CS* Clinical Symptoms *FIELD AV* Allelic Variants *FIELD EH* Edit History *RECORD* *FIELD NO* 123456 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dunstonrocks
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format - Inventory Row data into Column - Awk - Nawk

Hi All, I have the following file that has computer data for various pcs in my network... Snap of the file is as follows ******************************************************************************* Serial 123456 Computer IP Address lo0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aavam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing(xml) using nawk/awk

Hi , I have an xml format as shown below: <Info> <last name="sean" first name="john"/> <period="5" time="11"/> <test value="1",test2 value="2",test3 value="3",test4 value="5"> <old> <value1>1</value1> <value2>2</value2> </old> <new> <value1>4</value1> <value2>3</value2> </new>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: natalie23
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in parsing xml file (sed/nawk)

I have a large xml file as shown below: <input> <blah> <blah> <atr="blah blah value = ""> <blah> <blah> </input> ..2nd chunk... ..3rd chunk... ...4th chunk... All lines between <input> and </input> is one 'order' and this 'order' is repeated... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/Nawk help

Hi all, I have the following piece of code which reformats a file but the part that isn't working converts a date from dd mmm ccyy format to 2 fields containing dd/mm/ccyy,ccyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.000000 This is for a DB2 load file. The problem I have is that the input dd values (the dd variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazedandconfuse
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing using nawk help needed

i need one help, below is one more xml file with diff pattern i tried it but dint get it , iam sure its a peice of cake for you guys. <xn:MeContext id="LSVLKY001"> <xn:ManagedElement id="1"> <un:RncFunction id="1"> <un:UtranCell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing data with awk , eliminating unwanted data

Experts , Below is the data: --- Physical volumes --- PV Name /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 VG Name /dev/vg00 PV Status available Allocatable yes VGDA 2 Cur LV 8 PE Size (Mbytes) 8 Total PE 4350 Free PE 2036 Allocated PE 2314 Stale PE 0 IO Timeout (Seconds) default --- Physical volumes ---... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML (and insert data) then output data (bash / Solaris)

Hi folks I have a script I wrote that basically parses a bunch of config and xml files works out were to add in the new content then spits out the data into a new file. It all works - apart from the xml and config file format in the new file with XML files the original XML (that ends up in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfinch
2 Replies