Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX problem to restart services from /etc/inittab in AIX6.1 Post 302604442 by gito on Monday 5th of March 2012 05:04:13 AM
Old 03-05-2012
Have you been running "telinit q" ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problem in connecting TCP services between 2 Solaris Servers

Hi, I have 3 solaris servers. Two servers of differnet network and one gateway. Server1 --> 192.168.0.1 --> Solaris 9 Server2 --> 10.27.40.2 --> Solaris 10 Server3 --> Iface1 --> 192.168.0.5 --> Solaris 10 --> Gateway Iface2 --> 10.27.40.5 Now I am able to ssh... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
36 Replies

2. AIX

mkitab problem with /etc/inittab respawning

Hi All, May be a dumb question to old AIX hacks, if so apologize. I have worked with /etc/inittab on SCO, but apparently with AIX you should use the 'mkitab' command to add entries instead of just vi'ing the file. I just need a daemon process (script called 'dpr_daemon') to kick off once and... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
19 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Opinion on auto-restart of failed apps/services

I'm becoming a dying breed where I work. More and more sys admins are advocating automatically restarting failed services such as tomcat, jboss, etc. I've always been against doing this except with buggy apps that can't be fixed or avoided. My main argument is that I feel it's a trick used by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does inittab needs system restart?

Hi currently my linux instance is running in runlevel 3 ( someone has set the default to 3) i have to change it to runlevel 5 . my question 1) does the editing of /etc/inittab needs system restart to enter runlevel 5. 2) how can we avoid system restart because if some users are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UI accessiblity problem when using cronjob for server restart

Hi, I have a couch Db server running. I have written a script which will check and kill the multiple instances of the same and then start again a new one. Now when i start the db server manually, the UI of the DB is accessible via browser. But when i do the same using cronjob, the UI of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarath@123
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to restart the services

Hi Guys, I need bash script to restart the service. 1. Disable the service called SASM svcadm disable sasm 2. if service went to maintenance mode then it shuld clear it with below command svcadm clear sasm 3.or else it should restart the mysql service /etc/init.d/mysql stop... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bapu1981
1 Replies

7. AIX

NFS problem AIX6.1

Hello, I have a problem with an NFS file system. Both AIX servers are AIX6.1 and uses NFS version 3. The problem is that at some point the client server cannot connect to the NFS anymore and when i do df -k it displays the message NFS server <server> not responding still trying. i run the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

9. Debian

How do i correct restart network-services in Debian?

Hello, I would like to do follow steps. Set a static IP-Adress on eth0 (For Testing) Set DHCP on eth0 All steps should be done without a single reboot. /etc/network/interfaces iface eth0 inet static address 192.0.2.7/24 gateway 192.0.2.254How do i perform... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: int3g3r
3 Replies
TELINIT(8)							      telinit								TELINIT(8)

NAME
telinit - Change SysV runlevel SYNOPSIS
telinit [OPTIONS...] {COMMAND} DESCRIPTION
telinit may be used to change the SysV system runlevel. Since the concept of SysV runlevels is obsolete the runlevel requests will be transparently translated into systemd unit activation requests. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --help Prints a short help text and exits. --no-wall Do not send wall message before reboot/halt/power-off. The following commands are understood: 0 Power-off the machine. This is translated into an activation request for poweroff.target and is equivalent to systemctl poweroff. 6 Reboot the machine. This is translated into an activation request for reboot.target and is equivalent to systemctl reboot. 2, 3, 4, 5 Change the SysV runlevel. This is translated into an activation request for runlevel2.target, runlevel3.target, ... and is equivalent to systemctl isolate runlevel2.target, systemctl isolate runlevel3.target, ... 1, s, S Change into system rescue mode. This is translated into an activation request for rescue.target and is equivalent to systemctl rescue. q, Q Reload daemon configuration. This is equivalent to systemctl daemon-reload. u, U Serialize state, reexecute daemon and deserialize state again. This is equivalent to systemctl daemon-reexec. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. NOTES
This is a legacy command available for compatibility only. It should not be used anymore, as the concept of runlevels is obsolete. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), wall(1) systemd 208 TELINIT(8)