Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: kenel panic not syncing
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu kenel panic not syncing Post 302604364 by dr_mabuse on Sunday 4th of March 2012 07:32:27 PM
Old 03-04-2012
kenel panic not syncing

I installed a new kernel 3.0.22 on ubuntu server 11.04 32 bit.
when I select the kenel from boot loader it stops when
Code:
loading initial ramdisk...
I added all_generic_ide at the end of linux line and also added dev/sda1 to linux line: root=UUID=dev/sda1

now it says that
Code:
     kernel panic - not synching: attempts to kill init init not tainted 3.0.22 call trace: 
(some addresses like) ?printkxxxx 
do_exit... 
vfs_writexxx 
do_group_exit... 
sys_exit_groupxxxx 
sysenter_do_callxxxxxx

I have checked from the first kernel with df -h, it says that my main drive which is the root file system is /dev/sda1.
so! what's the problem?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

filesystem syncing

Does anyone know if there is free software that can keep 2 filesystem on remote machines , synced. This will be part of our Disaster Recovery to keep one machine off site , which will take over should the need arise.. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdr011
6 Replies

2. Linux

NTPD seems to be not syncing !!!

Hi Linux Admin Guys My onsite server is always 15 min slow and seems like NTPD (Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon) not running properly. can anyone suggest me how to rectify this problem? we can't seem to get NTP to properly sync the clock. Any help is resolving the issue will be helpful.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel panic - not syncing == While RHEL AS install

I am trying to Install RHEL AS 4 on x86 pc, through VNC and got the below error, Am not pretty sure as how to resolve this. Can some one guide me through the process, or what might be missing.... Have Installed RHEL, many a times but cudnt find this out... Wud appreciate an early reply ......... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_murli
0 Replies

4. Linux

Kernel panic - not syncing: cannot execute a PAE-enabled kernel on PAE-less CPU

ok so I just installed fedora core 6 on my dell inspiron 700m and I go to boot into linux and I get this error. Has anyone seen this before? I also had XP Pro and Vista installed on this pc prior to putting fedora core 6 on the machine. I'm trying to setup a triple boot system. Please Help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave043
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

kernel panic-not syncing:fatal exception while booting

Hi ALL, I am getting error.. kernal panic-not syncing:fatal exception while booting. Please help me.. Thanks Jack (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
7 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

RAID syncing 2 partitions

Hi all, I tried setting up RAID between 2 partitions and it was success. If I write some things on /dev/md0, both partition got affected. Then I stop the RAID, and I mounted one of my partition and I created a file in it. Now I started the RAID (mdadm --assemble --scan) What I expected... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
1 Replies

7. Slackware

Help with kernel panic - not syncing slackware 13.0

Hi, first of all I'm 110% newbie, sorry for any mistake if I made it. In my country there are no normal or active linux forums, so i found this forum. Ok, that's for begining, but not for may real problem. --------------------------------------------------- I am system administrator... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElvijsL
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Error: kernal panic not syncing

HI All, server stopped here, we are suspecting server crash, need install new OS. Any suggestions on this. kindly help to us. Thanks Rajesh (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_Apple
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Kernel panic-not syncing

dear experts linux i am using RHEL 5.5 run on a physical server. i am front of a big trouble, the Rhel can't run correctly , it show me this error message in black screen: reading all physical volumes. this my take a while .. found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2 9... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wassimpb
1 Replies
LILO-UUID-DISKID(8)						lilo documentation					       LILO-UUID-DISKID(8)

NAME
lilo-uuid-diskid - convert boot / root options to diskid and uuid in lilo.conf. SYNOPSIS
lilo-uuid-diskid [-h] [-v] [lilo.conf] DESCRIPTION
This script looks for the boot block device or boot partition and create the right diskid or uuid as boot option. Then it looks for all root partitions and create the right uuids as root options. These conversions are necessary for use with newer kernel (>= 2.6.26) if it use the libata module for parallel and serial ATA interfaces of block devices (i. e. hard disks with IDE or SATA interface, usbsticks). OPTIONS
-h Print a brief help. -v Print verbose messages. EXAMPLES
Lines in the configuration file /etc/lilo.conf: #boot = /dev/sda boot = /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_SV1604N_S01FJ10X999999 #root = /dev/sda1 root = "UUID=/dev/disk/by-uuid/18843936-00f9-4df0-a373-000d05a5dd44" COPYRIGHT and LICENSE Copyright (C) 2010-2011 Joachim Wiedorn This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License version 2 can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2'. AUTHOR
lilo-uuid-diskid was written by Joachim Wiedorn. This manual page was written by Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian at joonet.de> for the Debian project (and may be used by others). SEE ALSO
lilo(8), update-lilo(8), liloconfig(8) 23.1 2011-03-20 LILO-UUID-DISKID(8)