Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories Post 302604322 by spfc_dmt on Sunday 4th of March 2012 11:46:22 AM
Old 03-04-2012
Here it is:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh

cd /home/username/public_html/tests/
find . -name "*.php" | while read file
do
    echo "munging: $file"             # nice to see progress as it works
    mv "$file" "$file-"      # back it up
    awk '     # read the file and delete the block of php code
    /<?php/ { drop = idx = 0; snarf = 1; }  # start of a block; start buffering

/?>/ {                  # end of a block
        if( ! drop )        # magic string not found -- show this block
        {
            for( i = 0; i < idx; i++ )
                printf( "%s\n", buffer[i] );
            printf( "%s\n", $0 );
        }

snarf = 0;          # turn off buffering
        next;
    }

### change the string between the slants to be something unique to the block you wish to delete. 
    /PHP_STRING/ { drop = 1; }    # magic string found, drop if we're in a php block

snarf {                 # if buffering, hold the record until end of block reached.
        buffer[idx++] = $0;
        next;
    }

{ print; }              # not buffering, just print the record.
    '  "$file-" >"$file"
    if (( $? > 0 ))            # handle failure by putting the file back in place
    then
        echo "edit of $file failed" >&2
        mv "$file-" "$file"             # restore original
    else
        rm "$file-"               # worked, delete backup 
    fi
done

Shouldnt the first line be:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

?? Although i tested this and didnt worked aswel...

Last edited by spfc_dmt; 03-04-2012 at 12:52 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in multiple files (Shell script)

hi guys, Suppose you have 100 files in a folder and you want to replace all occurances of a word say "ABCD" in those files with "DCBA", how would you do it ??? jatin (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatins_s
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace multiple lines in multiple files

i have to search a string and replace with multiple lines. example Input echo 'sample text' echo 'college days' output echo 'sample text' echo 'information on students' echo 'emp number' echo 'holidays' i have to search a word college and replace the multiple lines i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unihp1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i find number of lines in files & subdirectories

how can i find number of lines in files & subdirectories ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with multiple lines

Hello Guys, I need to replace a string with multiple lines. For eg:- ABC,DEF,GHI,JKL,MNO,PQR,STU need to convert the above as below:- ABC,DEF, GHI1 GHI2 GHI3, JKL,MNO, PQR1 PQR2 PQR3, STU i have tried using code as:- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
2 Replies
STR_REPLACE(3)								 1							    STR_REPLACE(3)

str_replace - Replace all occurrences of the search string with the replacement string

SYNOPSIS
mixed str_replace (mixed $search, mixed $replace, mixed $subject, [int &$count]) DESCRIPTION
This function returns a string or an array with all occurrences of $search in $subject replaced with the given $replace value. If you don't need fancy replacing rules (like regular expressions), you should always use this function instead of preg_replace(3). PARAMETERS
If $search and $replace are arrays, then str_replace(3) takes a value from each array and uses them to search and replace on $subject. If $replace has fewer values than $search, then an empty string is used for the rest of replacement values. If $search is an array and $replace is a string, then this replacement string is used for every value of $search. The converse would not make sense, though. If $search or $replace are arrays, their elements are processed first to last. o $search - The value being searched for, otherwise known as the needle. An array may be used to designate multiple needles. o $replace - The replacement value that replaces found $search values. An array may be used to designate multiple replacements. o $subject - The string or array being searched and replaced on, otherwise known as the haystack. If $subject is an array, then the search and replace is performed with every entry of $subject, and the return value is an array as well. o $count - If passed, this will be set to the number of replacements performed. RETURN VALUES
This function returns a string or an array with the replaced values. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Basic str_replace(3) examples <?php // Provides: <body text='black'> $bodytag = str_replace("%body%", "black", "<body text='%body%'>"); // Provides: Hll Wrld f PHP $vowels = array("a", "e", "i", "o", "u", "A", "E", "I", "O", "U"); $onlyconsonants = str_replace($vowels, "", "Hello World of PHP"); // Provides: You should eat pizza, beer, and ice cream every day $phrase = "You should eat fruits, vegetables, and fiber every day."; $healthy = array("fruits", "vegetables", "fiber"); $yummy = array("pizza", "beer", "ice cream"); $newphrase = str_replace($healthy, $yummy, $phrase); // Provides: 2 $str = str_replace("ll", "", "good golly miss molly!", $count); echo $count; ?> Example #2 Examples of potential str_replace(3) gotchas <?php // Order of replacement $str = "Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 Line 4 "; $order = array(" ", " ", " "); $replace = '<br />'; // Processes 's first so they aren't converted twice. $newstr = str_replace($order, $replace, $str); // Outputs F because A is replaced with B, then B is replaced with C, and so on... // Finally E is replaced with F, because of left to right replacements. $search = array('A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E'); $replace = array('B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F'); $subject = 'A'; echo str_replace($search, $replace, $subject); // Outputs: apearpearle pear // For the same reason mentioned above $letters = array('a', 'p'); $fruit = array('apple', 'pear'); $text = 'a p'; $output = str_replace($letters, $fruit, $text); echo $output; ?> NOTES
Note This function is binary-safe. Caution Replacement order gotcha Because str_replace(3) replaces left to right, it might replace a previously inserted value when doing multiple replacements. See also the examples in this document. Note This function is case-sensitive. Use str_ireplace(3) for case-insensitive replace. SEE ALSO
str_ireplace(3), substr_replace(3), preg_replace(3), strtr(3). PHP Documentation Group STR_REPLACE(3)