Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: foreach loop in unix script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting foreach loop in unix script Post 302604278 by codemaniac on Sunday 4th of March 2012 07:49:07 AM
Old 03-04-2012
can you add an #!/bin/bash at the very beginning of your shell script and run .
That would run the code in bash only .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach loop

What am I doing wrong with this foreach loop? foreach var ($argv) @sum = $sum + $var (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haze21
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi Guys, I have a loop which uses a wildcard i.e. foreach f (*) but when I execute the tcsh file in unix then it gives me an error ->>>>>>>foreach: words not parenthesized<<<<<<<<<<- Any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abch624
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop + 2 variables

In a foreach loop, is it possible for the loop to go through 2 arguments instead of one i.e. instead of foreach i (do stuff for i), we have foreach i j(do stuff for i; do stuff for j) I am working under BASH and TCSH shell environments cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi everyone Does anyone know what is wrong with this script. i keep getting errors foreach filename (`cat testing1`) set string=$filename set depth=`echo "$string" echo $depth end the error is the following testing: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `(' testing: line 1:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foreach loop to run a perl script on multiple files

Hi, I have thousands of files in a directory that have the following 2 formats: 289620178.aln 289620179.aln 289620180.aln 289620183.aln 289620184.aln 289620185.aln 289620186.aln 289620187.aln 289620188.aln 289620189.aln 289620190.aln 289620192.aln.... and: alnCDS_1.fasta (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greptastic
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop working in terminal but not in the script

Hi, I am new here I have used the forums a long time to search for things they are very helpful. I have unfortunately used up all my resources (professors, grad students) and need some help. I have this very simple piece of code (using to isolate the problem) in a csh script: #!/bin/csh... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bflinchum
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the Foreach loop, Needing help

I am trying to make a script for my Counter-Strike: Source servers. What i am wanting it to do is for it to restart each server, the only way i can think of doing this in through for each. Years what i have at the moment. server_start() { START=`ps x | grep SCREEN | grep $SRV | cut -d '?' -f... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahamn95
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop problem

Dear all, I wrote a script to download files and move files in directories according to their name. Now here is the problem: Both p101 and p360 data download successfully, but when I move them according to the year and month, only p101 data can be placed at the right location, p360,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: handsonzhao
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach loop in csh

Hi everyone I'm new to unix and encountered a small problem i couldnt find out a reason why it doesn't work..please help.. in my csh script when i tried to use the foreach loop like this: foreach x ( ls ) echo $x end when i tried to run it, it printed out 'ls' to the std out instead of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymc1g11
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach loop with two variables

I need to put together a script that will take the contents of two different files (database name and database owner) and put them in two variables within a line: foreach x (`cat /local/hd3/dba/tools/build_db_scripts/dbs`) foreach z (`cat /local/hd3/dba/tools/build_db_scripts/dbas`)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
6 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)