Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: K3b permission problem
Operating Systems Linux Slackware K3b permission problem Post 302604223 by slak0 on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 08:42:10 PM
Old 03-03-2012
I neglected to point out that I am running as root via su in xfce on Slackware 13.37. I also tried to backup /etc and got the same insufficient privs message on over 50 files. I checked some of the files it barfs on most were rw------- and owned by root as user most were root group with some as daemon, examples in /etc/: .pwd.lock, at.deny, and sudoers
Had similar problems with /boot and in /root it flagged all files/directories. Any help??

---------- Post updated at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:26 PM ----------

I solved it. Got out of "su" and ran xfce under root login directly and K3B captured all the files.
I do not know whether this is a bug in K3b 2.0.2, Xfce 4.6.2, or Slackware 13.37 but any permissions bug I consider as serious.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission problem

I have a crontab job that runs a database backup and directs the output to a log. I ran the job, and the output log file was created with no problems, but now if I try and run the same job again, I keep getting a file exists error. The permissions are: -rw-rw-r-- I also tried changing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jodie
2 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Permission problem

I am having problems editing my options and profile etc. Whenever i do, i am getting a message that says I don't have any permissions. Can u tell me a solution. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyrak
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Permission Problem

I ran the sys-unconfig command and now I can't seem to change the permission on that folder evne though I'm the Superuser(Root admin). I need to fix this so the user 'tommy' can login and have his home directory working. How do I fix this??? http://www3.telus.net/superstar/error.jpg (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permission problem

Hello I have situation where with my user id (group x) I am able to view a file. However if su to another user (different group) I am not able to view. I get permission denied. The file has complete wide open permissions -rwxrwxrwx and I can also cd from root to the directory in which the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akumargolf2000
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rc script permission problem

Hi, I have written a startup script which has be started while reboot. I am using Solaris10 machine and i have logged in as a root user. I have written a code the following code cp ./StartService /etc/init.d/ chmod 744 /etc/init.d/StartService //i have given it executable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied problem

I am trying to tidy our server and write cron to keep it tidy. We took on a third party to do some work last year. They were given their own UID/pwd so that they would have limited access. Part of what they wrote created an archive file at the end of every day. A year on and we don't want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RexJacobus
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission problem

How would i change permissions for a new directory so that i am the only one who has any access to any of the files created in it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem Permission denied cp -r

Hi I am administrator in unix I want make backup folder and file in root directory I use instruction Cp -r , But the system pear problem cp: cannot create regular file : Permission denied Can someone explain me what am I doing wrong??? please... find other instruction backup folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xactor
1 Replies

9. Debian

Execute permission problem

Hello, I need to install a program from a DVD. It uses a sh script called setup. root@ragnok: head -2 /media/cdrom0/setup #!/bin/sh root@ragnok: ls -l /media/cdrom0/setup -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 4688 Nov 8 08:38 /media/cdrom0/setup root@ragnok: /media/cdrom0/setup bash:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
2 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Burn avi to cd with k3b

Is there a way to burn avi to cd with k3b? When I tried the disc became unusable. I tried to open the disc on 2 different computers with no luck. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies
db_archive(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     db_archive(8)

NAME
db_archive - displays security database log files no longer involved in active transactions (Enhanced Security) SYNOPSIS
/usr/tcb/bin/db_archive [-alsv] [-h home] FLAGS
Write all pathnames as absolute pathnames, instead of relative to the database home directories. Specify a home directory for the data- base. The correct directory for enhanced security is /var/tcb/files. Write out the pathnames of all of the database log files, whether or not they are involved in active transactions. Write the pathnames of all of the database files that need to be archived in order to recover the database from catastrophic failure. If any of the database files have not been accessed during the lifetime of the current log files, db_archive does not include them in this output. It is possible that some of the files referenced in the log have since been deleted from the system. In this case, db_archive ignores them. When db_recover is run, any files referenced in the log that are not present during recovery are assumed to have been deleted and are not be recovered. Run in verbose mode, listing the checkpoints in the log files as they are reviewed. DESCRIPTION
A customized version of the Berkeley Database (Berkeley DB) is embedded in the operating system to provide high-performance database sup- port for critical security files. The DB includes full transactional support and database recovery, using write-ahead logging and check- pointing to record changes. The db_archive utility is provided for maintenance of the log files associated with the security database. It writes the pathnames of log files that are no longer in use (that is, no longer involved in active transactions), to the standard output, one pathname per line. These log files should be written to backup media to provide for recovery in the case of catastrophic failure (which also requires a snapshot of the database files), but they may then be deleted from the system to reclaim disk space. You should perform a db_checkpoint -1 before using db_archive. The secconfig utility can create a cron job that periodically checks the security log files and deletes those no longer in use, as deter- mined by db_archive. Be sure to coordinate this with the site backup schedule. The db_archive utility attaches to one or more of the Berkeley DB shared memory regions. In order to avoid region corruption, it should always be given the chance to detach and exit gracefully. To cause db_archive to clean up after itself and exit, send it an interrupt sig- nal (SIGINT). RETURN VALUES
The db_archive utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
If the -h option is not specified and the environment variable DB_HOME is set, it is used as the path of the database home. The home directory for security is /var/tcb/files. FILES
/var/tcb/files/auth.db /var/tcb/files/dblogs/* RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: db_checkpoint(8), db_dump(8), db_load(8), db_printlog(8), db_recover(8), db_stat(8), secconfig(8) delim off db_archive(8)