Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help me fixing event handling in csh on AIX Post 302604171 by ahamed101 on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 12:17:43 PM
Old 03-03-2012
It can be done, but requires more details. If the PID is not found, you said "loop for the next one" which next one? Are you giving it a list of PID's to be killed or continue checking for the same PID?

Please paste your code sample.

Why not use bash or ksh?
CSH Programming considered harmful

--ahamed

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Handling User Id Change in AIX

Hi, I have a query that suppose the first or last name of the user changes and we need to change its userid for aix too. Then in that case how do we handle this scenario??I guess we can't change the user id so we should re-create the new id and associate all the data of the old id. But I donno... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tintin@10
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh failing to call an 2 embedded csh script

I have an extraordinary problem with a csh script.....(feel free to berate the use of this but I'm modifying an existing bunch of them) Anyway, I have a master csh script which in turn calls a second csh script. This second csh script is below. Within this second script are two compiled C++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pollsizer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need help with <join> command in csh

Hi All, I need your hand to resolve an issue I am facing with a join command in one of the script. Please see the 3 files attached where file1 and file2 are the two files I am passing to the join command written in the command file. Prior to calling the join I am also sorting both the files on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sraj142
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System event on AIX

Hi, on AIX 6, are the system events historicized ? I want to know how was the performance on 18th of march. Is there any way ? thanks and regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String operation in csh AIX 4.3.2.0

Hi to everybody i stuck on a simple thing i had a string and i want cut it , i try already few thing with the cut command but does not the way it should. The script is in csh and running on AIX 4.3.2.0 here are few samples how the string can look like FT71;1;1;1;;;1;31.01.2017... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadielosabra
9 Replies

6. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)