Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users transfering kernel image to another system Post 302604050 by dr_mabuse on Friday 2nd of March 2012 04:51:00 PM
Old 03-02-2012
transfering kernel image to another system

my server system is low on disk. To install a new kernel I think i shall do the following:

1. compile the kernel on another system.
2. copy bzImage along with config, System.map and of course the laodable module in /lib/modules and transfer them to the server.

3. Now, I can remove the server's old kernel to free up the space and put the the files in /boot as well as copying loadable modules to

no,... this is not the way, this way I need to make the drivers the image as well. There's another way, in ubuntu I can make .deb files of the headers and the linux, if I transfer only those two files to the server, I think i can install the new kernel using dpkg. what do you think?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

error while retrieving image using system imager

This is the error that I am getting while retrieving image from image server using system imager.... Listening on LPF/lo/<null> sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5 DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitesh_tarbani
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Create an ISO image of whole system

Hi All, Please help me with this. My plan is to create an ISO image of my current solaris 8 OS.Because we use a stripped out version of solaris 8 which is different than the standard one in CD. Will dd command will do ? My idea is to create a VMware image from iso file and play it in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
6 Replies

3. Debian

creat image for the new kernel

Hello friends, I have compiled the kernel . But now i am facing the problem as to how we can create the initrd.img for the specific kernel. I was compiling the 2.6.29 kernel. to create initrd.img for 2.6.29 what i did is : cd /boot mkinitramfs-kpkg -o initrd.img-2.6.29 2.6.29... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Image of Unix

Hi, Is there any inbuild tool or software through which we can take system image of any unix system? Please suggest. Regards, Ravi D (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

Need help to create netboot image for EL6 kernel

We use netboot to boot our RedHat Linux kernels. We usually use mknbi tool to create netboot image from Red Hat Linux kernel. However, I can't get this to work with the new Red Hat EL6 kernel. One online document I found seems to say mknbi should not be used for Linux 2.6 or newer kernels any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyao02459
1 Replies

7. Linux

Create a bootable PXE image from build kernel source code

Hi, Can i just ask how I can create a bootable PXE image from the built kernel source. What files do I need to get? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
1 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)                                                 kernel-install                                                 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)