Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk or sed? change field conditional on key match Post 302604026 by RascalHoudi on Friday 2nd of March 2012 02:54:30 PM
Old 03-02-2012
awk or sed? change field conditional on key match

Hi. I'd appreciate if I can get some direction in this issue to get me going.

Datafile1:
-About 4000 records, I have to update field#4 in selected records based on a match in the key field (Field#1).
-Field #1 is the key field (servername) . # of Fields may vary
Code:
# comment
server1 bbb ccc ddd eee fff
server2 bbb ccc ddd eee fff # comment 3 words
server3 bbb ccc ddd eee fff
server4 bbb ccc ddd eee fff # extra comments here too
server499 bbb ccc ddd eee fff
server500 bbb ccc ddd eee fff # comment that drags on and on and on

Datafile2:
I have a second datafile listing identifying which servenames need an update on field#4.
Code:
server2
server4
server12
server15
server499

When I match this name to datafile1:field#1 to a name in datafile2, I want to change field#4 to static value e.g."444" and update datafile1.
Desired output:
Code:
server1 bbb ccc ddd eee fff
server2 bbb ccc 444 eee fff # comment 3 words
server3 bbb ccc ddd eee fff
server4 bbb ccc 444 eee fff # extra comments here too
server499 bbb ccc 444 eee fff
server500 bbb ccc ddd eee fff # comment that drags on and on and on and on

I'm thinking along these lines
-while Read datafile1
-move record to storage
-grep datafile2 for a match to datafile1:field1
-no match: write record unchanged
-match: alter field4 to '444' and write record

Would awk or sed suit this best?
I'm thinking awk, but can I easily contain the necessary logic to grep an external file looking for a match?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i pattern match a field with awk?

hi, let's say $numbers = "324 350 587" an so on... what i'm trying to do is this: awk -v numbers="$numbers" '{if (numbers ~ /$2/) print $0, "bla bla"}' file # file looks like this: 214 ..... 215 ... 216 .... 250 ... 324 325 ... 350 something ... ... 587 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: someone123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional edit for a field using sed

Hi I want to repalce a field in a txt file on solaris with say 100 records and each record having a total of 10 fields separated by a ~ . based on the following condition the record should be edited or else the record should be written as it is to a if the seventh field is 'XX' and if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acharania2011
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional tab replacement sed/awk

Hi I am struggling to find a solutions to this problem: I have a directory full of files and I wish to: read each line of each file and if any one line in those files is longer than 72 characters I want to replace any tab characters with a space character. Ive been... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benackland
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk conditional expression to compare field number and variable value

Hi, I'm trying to compare the value in a field to the value in a variable using awk. This works: awk '$7 == "101"'but this is what I want (and it doesn't work): value=101 awk '$7 == "$value"' Any help or insight on this would be great. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK to format output based on key field

I have file which contains gene lines something like this Transcript Name GO POPTR_0016s06290.1 98654 POPTR_2158s00200.1 11324 POPTR_0004s22390.1 12897 POPTR_0001s11490.1 POPTR_0016s13950.1 14532 POPTR_0015s05840.1 13455 POPTR_0013s06470.1 12344... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file when the key field change !

Hello, I have the following example data file: Rv.Global_Sk,1077.160523,D,16/09/2011 Rv.Global_Sk,1077.08098,D,17/09/2011 Rv.Global_Sk,1077.001445,D,18/09/2011 Rv.Global_Sk,1072.660733,D,19/09/2011 Rv.Global_Sk,1070.381557,D,20/09/2011 Rv.Global_Sk,1071.971747,D,21/09/2011... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

match two key columns in two files and print output (awk)

I have two files... file1 and file2. Where columns 1 and 2 of file1 match columns 1 and 2 of file2 I want to create a new file that is all file1 + columns 3 and 4 of file2 :b: Many thanks if you know how to do this.... :b: file1 31-101 106 0 92 31-101 106 29 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelhabuan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match value to a field within +/- value

In the awk below I use $2 of filet to search filea for a match. If the values in $2 are exact match this works great. However, that is not always the case, so I need to perform the search using a range of + or - 2. That is if the value in filea $2 is within + or - 2 of filet $2 then it is matched.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match field between two files and use conditions on match

I am trying to look for $2 of file1 (skipping the header) in $2 of file2 (skipping the header) and if they match and the value in $10 is > 30 and $11 is > 49, then print the line from file1 to a output file. If no match is foung the line is not printed. Both the input and output are tab-delimited.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)						     Linux-PAM							 PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)

NAME
pam_succeed_if - test account characteristics SYNOPSIS
pam_succeed_if.so [flag...] [condition...] DESCRIPTION
pam_succeed_if.so is designed to succeed or fail authentication based on characteristics of the account belonging to the user being authenticated. One use is to select whether to load other modules based on this test. The module should be given one or more conditions as module arguments, and authentication will succeed only if all of the conditions are met. OPTIONS
The following flags are supported: debug Turns on debugging messages sent to syslog. use_uid Evaluate conditions using the account of the user whose UID the application is running under instead of the user being authenticated. quiet Don't log failure or success to the system log. quiet_fail Don't log failure to the system log. quiet_success Don't log success to the system log. Conditions are three words: a field, a test, and a value to test for. Available fields are user, uid, gid, shell, home and service: field < number Field has a value numerically less than number. field <= number Field has a value numerically less than or equal to number. field eq number Field has a value numerically equal to number. field >= number Field has a value numerically greater than or equal to number. field > number Field has a value numerically greater than number. field ne number Field has a value numerically different from number. field = string Field exactly matches the given string. field != string Field does not match the given string. field =~ glob Field matches the given glob. field !~ glob Field does not match the given glob. field in item:item:... Field is contained in the list of items separated by colons. field notin item:item:... Field is not contained in the list of items separated by colons. user ingroup group User is in given group. user notingroup group User is not in given group. user innetgr netgroup (user,host) is in given netgroup. user notinnetgr group (user,host) is not in given netgroup. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
All module types (account, auth, password and session) are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The condition was true. PAM_AUTH_ERR The condition was false. PAM_SERVICE_ERR A service error occurred or the arguments can't be parsed correctly. EXAMPLES
To emulate the behaviour of pam_wheel, except there is no fallback to group 0: auth required pam_succeed_if.so quiet user ingroup wheel Given that the type matches, only loads the othermodule rule if the UID is over 500. Adjust the number after default to skip several rules. type [default=1 success=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so quiet uid > 500 type required othermodule.so arguments... SEE ALSO
glob(7), pam(8) AUTHOR
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> Linux-PAM 04/01/2010 PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)