Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Print from nth field to mth fields using awk Post 302603911 by tukuyomi on Friday 2nd of March 2012 09:41:36 AM
Old 03-02-2012
Another awk solution:
Code:
~/unix.com$ awk '{OFS=""; S=""; i=start-1; while(i++<end){S=S OFS $i;OFS=FS}}$0=S' start=3 end=99 FS='|' file

Set start and end at the end of the line to match your requirements
This User Gave Thanks to tukuyomi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Tab Separated Field with AWK to all and print lines of unique fields.

Hi. I have a tab separated file that has a couple nearly identical lines. When doing: sort file | uniq > file.new It passes through the nearly identical lines because, well, they still are unique. a) I want to look only at field x for uniqueness and if the content in field x is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print all fields except for last field

How do I print all the fields of a record except for the $(NF) field? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Nth to last field

Hey, I'm sure this is answered somewhere but my Googling has turned up nothing. I have a file with data in the following format: <desription of event> at <time and date>The desription of the event is variable length and hence when the list is displayed it is hard to easily see the date (and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the nth word of mth line in a file

Hi.. May be a simple question but I just began to write unix scripts a week ago, for sorting some huge amount of experiment data, so I got no common sense about unix scripting and really need your helps... The situation is, I want to read the nth word of mth line in a file, and then store it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freezelty
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove mth and nth column from a file?

Hi, i need to remove mth and nth column from a csv file. here m and n is not a specific number. it is a variable ex. m=2 n=5 now i need to remove the 2nd and 5th line.. Please help how to do that. Thanks!!! (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaq1xsw2
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching fields in input but only print line with largest value in specific field

In the below I am trying to use awk to match all the $13 values in input, which is tab-delimited, that are in $1 of gene which is just a single column of text. However only the line with the greatest $9 value in input needs to be printed. So in the example below all the MECP2 and LTBP1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print lines based on text in field and value in two additional fields

In the awk below I am trying to print the entire line, along with the header row, if $2 is SNV or MNV or INDEL. If that condition is met or is true, and $3 is less than or equal to 0.05, then in $7 the sub pattern :GMAF= is found and the value after the = sign is checked. If that value is less than... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print lines based upon unique values in Nth field

For some reason I am having difficulty performing what should be a fairly easy task. I would like to print lines of a file that have a unique value in the first field. For example, I have a large data-set with the following excerpt: PS003,001 MZMWR/ L-DWD// * PS003,001... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)