Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Match pattern in a field, print pattern only instead of the entire field Post 302603753 by balajesuri on Friday 2nd of March 2012 01:21:46 AM
Old 03-02-2012
Assuming your columns are tab-separated.

Code:
perl -F"\t" -lane '$F[1]=~s/ //g;if ($F[1] =~ /([13]{1,5}tomatoes[13]{1,5})/) {$F[1] =~ s/.*?($1).*/$1/; print join ("\t", @F)}' file.tab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i pattern match a field with awk?

hi, let's say $numbers = "324 350 587" an so on... what i'm trying to do is this: awk -v numbers="$numbers" '{if (numbers ~ /$2/) print $0, "bla bla"}' file # file looks like this: 214 ..... 215 ... 216 .... 250 ... 324 325 ... 350 something ... ... 587 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: someone123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print line if first Field matches a pattern

Hi All, I would like my code to be able to print out the whole line if 1st field has a dot in the number. Sample input and expected output given below. My AWK code is below but it can;t work, can any expert help me ? Thanks in advance. {if ($1 ~ /*\.*/) { print $0 }} Input: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print the last line of an recurring pattern on the 3rd field

How can i awk/sed to print the last line of an recurring pattern on the 3rd field? Input lines: 123456.1 12 1357911 11111.1 01 123456.2 12 1357911 11111.2 02 123456.3 12 1357911 11111.3 03 123456.4 12 1357911 11111.4 04 123456.5 12 1357911 11111.5 05 246810.1 12 1357911 22222.1 01... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying the first field if the second field matches the pattern using Perl

Hi, I am trying with the below Perl command to print the first field when the second field matches the given pattern: perl -lane 'open F, "< myfile"; for $i (<F>) {chomp $i; if ($F =~ /patt$/) {my $f = (split(" ", $i)); print "$f";}} close F' dummy_file I know I can achieve the same with the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match Pattern after certain pattern and Print words next to Pattern

Hi experts , im new to Unix,AWK ,and im just not able to get this right. I need to match for some patterns if it matches I need to print the next few words to it.. I have only three such conditions to match… But I need to print only those words that comes after satisfying the first condition..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: print lines with one of multiple pattern in the same field (column)

Hi all, I am new to using awk and am quickly discovering what a powerful pattern-recognition tool it is. However, I have what seems like a fairly basic task that I just can't figure out how to perform in one line. I want awk to find and print all the lines in which one of multiple patterns (e.g.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgo4
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to match a field and print the next field of each line in a file.

Hello, I have a text file in the below format: Source Destination State Lag Status CQA02W2K12pl:D:\CAQA ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print field after pattern in all lines

data: hello--hello1--hello2--#growncars#vello--hello3--hello4--jello#growncars#dello--gello--gelloA--gelloB#growncars# I want to be able to print all the values that are found between the patterns "#growncars#" and the next "#growncars#" on the same line. so the output should be: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get output of multiple pattern match from first field to a file

Hi All, Greetings! I have a file of 40000+ lines with different entries, I need matching entries filterd out to their files based on first filed pattern for the matching : For example: All server1 entries (in field1) to come together with its path in 2nd field. The best output I want... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
9 Replies
tabs(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tabs(1)

NAME
tabs - set tabs on a terminal SYNOPSIS
tabs [-v[n]] [-ahuUV] file... DESCRIPTION
The tabs program clears and sets tab-stops on the terminal. This uses the terminfo clear_all_tabs and set_tab capabilities. If either is absent, tabs is unable to clear/set tab-stops. The terminal should be configured to use hard tabs, e.g., stty tab0 OPTIONS
General Options -Tname Tell tabs which terminal type to use. If this option is not given, tabs will use the $TERM environment variable. If that is not set, it will use the ansi+tabs entry. -d The debugging option shows a ruler line, followed by two data lines. The first data line shows the expected tab-stops marked with asterisks. The second data line shows the actual tab-stops, marked with asterisks. -n This option tells tabs to check the options and run any debugging option, but not to modify the terminal settings. The tabs program processes a single list of tab stops. The last option to be processed which defines a list is the one that determines the list to be processed. Implicit Lists Use a single number as an option, e.g., "-5" to set tabs at the given interval (in this case 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, etc.). Tabs are repeated up to the right margin of the screen. Use "-0" to clear all tabs. Use "-8" to set tabs to the standard interval. Explicit Lists An explicit list can be defined after the options (this does not use a "-"). The values in the list must be in increasing numeric order, and greater than zero. They are separated by a comma or a blank, for example, tabs 1,6,11,16,21 tabs 1 6 11 16 21 Use a '+' to treat a number as an increment relative to the previous value, e.g., tabs 1,+5,+5,+5,+5 which is equivalent to the 1,6,11,16,21 example. Predefined Tab-Stops X/Open defines several predefined lists of tab stops. -a Assembler, IBM S/370, first format -a2 Assembler, IBM S/370, second format -c COBOL, normal format -c2 COBOL compact format -c3 COBOL compact format extended -f FORTRAN -p PL/I -s SNOBOL -u UNIVAC 1100 Assembler PORTABILITY
X/Open describes a +m option, to set a terminal's left-margin. Very few of the entries in the terminal database provide this capability. The -d (debug) and -n (no-op) options are extensions not provided by other implementations. Documentation for other implementations states that there is a limit on the number of tab stops. While some terminals may not accept an arbitrary number of tab stops, this implementation will attempt to set tab stops up to the right margin of the screen, if the given list happens to be that long. SEE ALSO
tset(1), infocmp(1), ncurses(3NCURSES), terminfo(5). This describes ncurses version 5.9 (patch 20110404). tabs(1)