Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting one line command to change mode only if necessary Post 302603589 by ysrini on Thursday 1st of March 2012 12:09:37 PM
Old 03-01-2012
chmod 554 *
works and on all the files and that's not what i want to happen

I am hoping someone could post a one line command to only apply to files in the current directory where the file is not already set to 554

Thanks,
-srinivas

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the GRUB command line to graphical interface?

Hi, I am i new Unix linux user. I've installed the linux 9 and i uninstall it. the first time i install the linux, the GRUB show the graphical interface. But after i reinstall it again, the GRUB change to command line. I can't boot my comp now. What should I do? And i don't know how to deal with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lee_chongeu
1 Replies

2. Linux

How change GRUB command line to graphical interface?

Hi, I am i new Unix linux user. I've installed the linux 9 and i uninstall it. the first time i install the linux, the GRUB show the graphical interface. But after i reinstall it again, the GRUB change to command line. I can't boot my comp now. What should I do? And i don't know how to deal with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lee_chongeu
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I change IP addresses in command mode...

How do I change IP addresses in command mode? i need to assign custom (non DHCP) addresses from the command line. Actually I also need to know how to change the subnet mask, the gateway and the primary, secondary, ... dns servers. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Super.Anyak
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert line break in vi's command mode

Hi, When working in vi, the CTRL+j command for merging lines is very convenient. Is there an equivalent for splitting them (inserting a line break)? I often find myself pressing "i" + "return" + "esc", which I find a bit lengthy. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skogsmulle
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change size of command line in unix

Hi, I'm trying to execute my program from $prompt by passing many parameters which is more than 300 charecters in line but unix not accepting those many charecters, could some one help me how to increase the size? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed command to change end of line

I am looking to change a data file into a javascript string and this is the code that I am using: sed -i '' -e 's/^/str += "/' -e 's/$/";/' file.xml The first part -e 's/^/str += "/' works as intended, but the second part -e 's/$/";/' adds an additional newline to my file, so that instead of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change filename extensions..from command line

I want to change the extensions of a folder full of files (some of the files are located in subfolders as well) to another extension, but instead of replacing the files I want the new files to be copied into a newly created folder. Here is the folder structure: /Downloads/3eb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bound4h
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between single line mode and multiline mode in Regular expressions?

Hi All, Can please let me know what is the difference between the single line mode and multi line mode in regular expresions? Thanks, Chidhambaram B (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidhu.anu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the background color in the init 3 mode(not line color)

Hello, I am using RHEL 6.1 on VMware I am searching for a way to change background color (not line by line color wich one can using tput command) basically changing the color of the whole screen to white instead of the default black and changing font color to black and alos would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dexobox
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to start Fedora 11 in command line mode and skip damaged programs ??

Hi All, Please let me know that how to start Fedora 11 in command line mode and skip damaged programs ?? Scenario being: I have Fedora 11 ( pretty ole... eh !! ). If I try to start the PC , then after some steps of startup... it just hangs and does not boots. I tried entering the mode... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
4 Replies
CHMOD(1)								FSF								  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change file access permissions SYNOPSIS
chmod [OPTION]... MODE[,MODE]... FILE... chmod [OPTION]... OCTAL-MODE FILE... chmod [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of chmod. chmod changes the permissions of each given file according to mode, which can be either a symbolic representation of changes to make, or an octal number representing the bit pattern for the new permissions. The format of a symbolic mode is `[ugoa...][[+-=][rwxXstugo...]...][,...]'. Multiple symbolic operations can be given, separated by com- mas. A combination of the letters `ugoa' controls which users' access to the file will be changed: the user who owns it (u), other users in the file's group (g), other users not in the file's group (o), or all users (a). If none of these are given, the effect is as if `a' were given, but bits that are set in the umask are not affected. The operator `+' causes the permissions selected to be added to the existing permissions of each file; `-' causes them to be removed; and `=' causes them to be the only permissions that the file has. The letters `rwxXstugo' select the new permissions for the affected users: read (r), write (w), execute (or access for directories) (x), execute only if the file is a directory or already has execute permission for some user (X), set user or group ID on execution (s), sticky (t), the permissions granted to the user who owns the file (u), the permissions granted to other users who are members of the file's group (g), and the permissions granted to users that are in neither of the two preceding categories (o). A numeric mode is from one to four octal digits (0-7), derived by adding up the bits with values 4, 2, and 1. Any omitted digits are assumed to be leading zeros. The first digit selects the set user ID (4) and set group ID (2) and sticky (1) attributes. The second digit selects permissions for the user who owns the file: read (4), write (2), and execute (1); the third selects permissions for other users in the file's group, with the same values; and the fourth for other users not in the file's group, with the same values. chmod never changes the permissions of symbolic links; the chmod system call cannot change their permissions. This is not a problem since the permissions of symbolic links are never used. However, for each symbolic link listed on the command line, chmod changes the permis- sions of the pointed-to file. In contrast, chmod ignores symbolic links encountered during recursive directory traversals. STICKY FILES
On older Unix systems, the sticky bit caused executable files to be hoarded in swap space. This feature is not useful on modern VM sys- tems, and the Linux kernel ignores the sticky bit on files. Other kernels may use the sticky bit on files for system-defined purposes. On some systems, only the superuser can set the sticky bit on files. STICKY DIRECTORIES
When the sticky bit is set on a directory, files in that directory may be unlinked or renamed only by root or their owner. Without the sticky bit, anyone able to write to the directory can delete or rename files. The sticky bit is commonly found on directories, such as /tmp, that are world-writable. OPTIONS
Change the mode of each FILE to MODE. -c, --changes like verbose but report only when a change is made -f, --silent, --quiet suppress most error messages -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every file processed --reference=RFILE use RFILE's mode instead of MODE values -R, --recursive change files and directories recursively --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Each MODE is one or more of the letters ugoa, one of the symbols +-= and one or more of the letters rwxXstugo. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for chmod is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and chmod programs are properly installed at your site, the command info chmod should give you access to the complete manual. chmod (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 CHMOD(1)