Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Inverse of Cut
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inverse of Cut Post 302603531 by alister on Thursday 1st of March 2012 09:05:25 AM
Old 03-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by landossa
Lets say I want to remove columns 2,3,4,5,10 and keep the rest

Normally, in a fixed length CSV, which has the same amount of columns every time it is processed, say 20 columns each time, I would use the following command to achieve this: (thereby specifying columns I do want)

cut -d"," -f 1,6,7,8,9,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20

But since the amount of columns will increase each time I have to run this process, then I need a means of specifying columns that I don't want (inverse cut) rather than what I do want. Perhaps this could be achieved in sed or awk..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubler_XL
If your cut supports --complement then:
Code:
cut -d, --complement -f2-5,10 infile

Code:
awk -F, -vR="2,3,4,5,10" 'BEGIN{split(R,A,",");for(v in A) S[A[v]]=1}
{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)if(!(i in S)) printf $i " ";print ""}' infile

Code:
awk -F, -vR="2-5,10" '
BEGIN {
 split(R,A,",");
 for(v in A) if (split(A[v],V,"-") > 1)
 for(i=V[1];i<=V[2];i++)S[i]=1
 else S[V[1]]=1}
{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)if(!(i in S)) printf $i " ";print ""}' infile

You can easily do this with cut itself, using standard functionality:
Code:
cut -d, -f 1,6-9,11-

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inverse Video

I am trying to discover the sequence of escape characters that I need to pass ksh in order to turn inverse video on and off. I need this information for two reasons: * I want to include inverse video text in some shell scripts * I wish to highlight a section of an /etc/motd file Thanks for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help-matrix inverse (awk)

I have few days to complete my awk homework. But I'm stucked. i hope some1 will help me out. I have to inverse n x n matrix, but I have problems with finding the determinant of the matrix. I found the algoritm, how to find a determinant of n x n matrix:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vesyyr
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

matrix inverse (awk)

I need to inverse a matrix given in a file. The problem is I'm stuck with writing determinant finding algoritm into code. I found this algoritm about finding determinant of nxn matrix. This is what i need: Matrices and Determinants and here: a11 a12 a13 a21 a22 a23 a31 a32 a33... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vesyyr
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inverse remove command

Hi All, Is there an option for 'rm' to "remove everything but these files"? For instance if I have: a.txt <-- I just want to remove this one a_1.txt a_2.txt Is there an option ? for this: rm -? *_*.txt Thanks, ScKaSx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inverse Grep

Hi, I'm trying to wtite a script which actually print the text which doesn't contain a word , i mean to say. eg:- if a file contains the follwoing data Hello how ru ??? What ru doing ? what is the % of data contained ??? I want to write a script such that it prints the line excluding... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagios
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep -v (inverse matching)

I am totally unexperienced in writing scripts of any kind. I am working on Mac OS X and would like to run a shell script to find files in a directory that do not conform to a specific naming convention and print to a text file in the same directory. For example, I have a folder called... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_alicea
9 Replies

7. Programming

Python re.findall inverse Match

I ask of you but yet another simplistic question that I hope can be answered. Its better explained showing my code. Here is my list(tmp_pkglist), which contains a list of all Debian (Jessie) packages: snippet 'zssh (1.5c.debian.1-3.2+b1 , 1.5c.debian.1-3.2 )', 'zsync (0.6.2-1)', 'ztex-bmp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I generate a script with an inverse action?

I have an interactive script which sorts and processes a variety of filetypes from an unsorted folder into newly created directories. The script works great, But I was wondering how I could generate a script with an inverse action so that I could unwind / undo the executed script and its sorting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
3 Replies