Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chmod command in SunOS
Operating Systems Solaris chmod command in SunOS Post 302603475 by jlliagre on Thursday 1st of March 2012 05:44:21 AM
Old 03-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru022002
That is "passwd" file. I want to change mode shell of 1 user in this file. dir: /etc/passwd
The /etc/password file should stay read-only. There is no point changing this permission as the only user allowed to modify /etc/password is root and read-only restrictions are not enforced against root.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod command for recently modified files

hello! is there a way for me to use the chmod command to change permissions for several files all at once -based on the fact that these files were all most recently modified TODAY ? I can't use a wildcard on their filenames because the filenames are varied. But I was hoping I could somehow do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polka_friend
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Required help in chmod command

I have files inside the some directories. The no. of files in each directory will vary from 1 to 500K. I need to change the permissions of all the files to 400 mode. When the files are large in numbers...the command $chmod 400 * fails saying "ksh: /bin/chmod: arg list too long" so I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokachari
5 Replies

4. Solaris

chmod command

Hi, I want to create one user who has right to run chmod command in solaris, Any Idea? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
7 Replies

5. Solaris

usleep command is not available in SunOS

Hi All, I need usleep command to use in one of my shell script. I am working on SunOS 5.9. Where usleep command is not available. Is there any way to use usleep command in SunOS. Thanks In Advance, chidhu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa.chidhambaram
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Command in SunOS 5.6

Hi, I have to backup the contents of an old SunOS to tape. The tape drive is being recognized by the operating system. However, the man pages for tar are a little different from the ones I have seen using Red Hat/Centos. On Centos to backup the entire contents of the / partition I could just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

One doubt regarding chmod command

which one is correct chmod 777 file.txt or chmod 777 / file.txt what is difference in these two commands? thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Du -sk command in SunOS 5.10

Hi, I am little confuse after using du -sk on file . I have file listing like: -rw-r--r-- 1 Xuser Ygrp 51419029531 Sep 21 07:40 catalina.out when i issue cmd : du -sk catalina.out gives output as 1804511 catalina.out This means 1804511 KB. Which means 1 GB. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use chmod command inside ftp block?

hi, i want to use chmod command inside ftp. so that what ever files are transfered to the local server will hav 664 permission. if i use chmod inside ftp , the file permissions gets changed in the remote server and when the file is transffered to local server using get command, it does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)