Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Tape Drive (/dev/rct0) donot work sometimes Post 302603455 by hicksd8 on Thursday 1st of March 2012 04:33:21 AM
Old 03-01-2012
Yes, I agree but, adding to my previous post, the reboot gets the SCSI adapter to issue a SCSI reset to the tape drive and it appears that this is enough to make it work. Therefore, SCSI communication is most likely the issue hence my comment about re-seating the cables, etc.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tape drive

Hi, I need to restore my tape backup, when I type "tape status" it gives; status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 3 but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

3. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Cant' mount usb drive, /dev/sda1 not showing up

Hi, I'm trying to mount a usb drive but the path /dev/sda1 does not show up under /dev when I plug in the usb device. In fact I see no differences under /dev before and after I plugin my usb drive. Any ideas why the system is not recognizing the usb drive and how to fix? This is on a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
3 Replies

5. AIX

Piping to /dev/rmt0 tape ?

I am trying to find a way to do the following on an AIX 4.2 with Korn: tar cvfpdl - . | compress > /dev/rmt0 The /dev/rmt0 is the device we use when we tar directly to it. I want to compress a folder's content to tape. Our current TAR does not have compression at all. We only have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

6. SuSE

Tape Loader Device /dev/sgN is altering after each reboot

Dear all, we are running SLES 11 where an iscsi tape library is attached. To load the tape in a slot we are using for instance the command #mtx -f /dev/sg1 load 2 which is doing very well. But after a server's reboot the device name of the loader is now /dev/sg4 or /dev/sg5 I mean it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xunil321
1 Replies

7. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Help with tape drive

Hey folks, Linux admin here, forced to use Opensolaris to try to use ufsdump/ufsrestore to get some data of some old tapes. I've got Opensolaris 2009.06 on x86 and a Sony SDX-700V. As a "control" experiment, I booted the system with a Linux live CD and the tape drive worked perfectly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddy_sysad
2 Replies
BACKUP_LISTHOSTS(8)					       AFS Command Reference					       BACKUP_LISTHOSTS(8)

NAME
backup_listhosts - Lists Tape Coordinators registered in the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup listhosts [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup listh [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup listhosts command displays the Backup Database record of the port offset numbers defined for Tape Coordinator machines. A Tape Coordinator must have an entry in the list to be available for backup operations. The existence of an entry does not necessarily indicate that the Tape Coordinator process (butc) is currently running at that port offset. To check, issue the backup status command. OPTIONS
-localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
After a "Tape hosts:" header, the output reports two things about each Tape Coordinator currently defined in the Backup Database: o The hostname of the machine housing the Tape Coordinator. The format of this name depends on the hostname format used when the backup addhost command was issued. o The Tape Coordinator's port offset number. The Tape Coordinators appear in the order in which they were added to the Backup Database. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the result of the command in the ABC Corporation cell: % backup listhosts Tape hosts: Host backup1.abc.com, port offset 0 Host backup1.abc.com, port offset 1 Host backup3.abc.com, port offset 4 Host backup2.abc.com, port offset 3 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_addhost(8), backup_delhost(8), backup_status(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_LISTHOSTS(8)