Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chmod command in SunOS
Operating Systems Solaris chmod command in SunOS Post 302603441 by gull04 on Thursday 1st of March 2012 03:57:37 AM
Old 03-01-2012
Hi,

Use the command "usermod -s /new/shellname username", that's the correct way of doing this.

Dave

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod command for recently modified files

hello! is there a way for me to use the chmod command to change permissions for several files all at once -based on the fact that these files were all most recently modified TODAY ? I can't use a wildcard on their filenames because the filenames are varied. But I was hoping I could somehow do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polka_friend
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Required help in chmod command

I have files inside the some directories. The no. of files in each directory will vary from 1 to 500K. I need to change the permissions of all the files to 400 mode. When the files are large in numbers...the command $chmod 400 * fails saying "ksh: /bin/chmod: arg list too long" so I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokachari
5 Replies

4. Solaris

chmod command

Hi, I want to create one user who has right to run chmod command in solaris, Any Idea? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
7 Replies

5. Solaris

usleep command is not available in SunOS

Hi All, I need usleep command to use in one of my shell script. I am working on SunOS 5.9. Where usleep command is not available. Is there any way to use usleep command in SunOS. Thanks In Advance, chidhu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa.chidhambaram
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Command in SunOS 5.6

Hi, I have to backup the contents of an old SunOS to tape. The tape drive is being recognized by the operating system. However, the man pages for tar are a little different from the ones I have seen using Red Hat/Centos. On Centos to backup the entire contents of the / partition I could just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

One doubt regarding chmod command

which one is correct chmod 777 file.txt or chmod 777 / file.txt what is difference in these two commands? thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Du -sk command in SunOS 5.10

Hi, I am little confuse after using du -sk on file . I have file listing like: -rw-r--r-- 1 Xuser Ygrp 51419029531 Sep 21 07:40 catalina.out when i issue cmd : du -sk catalina.out gives output as 1804511 catalina.out This means 1804511 KB. Which means 1 GB. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use chmod command inside ftp block?

hi, i want to use chmod command inside ftp. so that what ever files are transfered to the local server will hav 664 permission. if i use chmod inside ftp , the file permissions gets changed in the remote server and when the file is transffered to local server using get command, it does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies
LCHMOD(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 LCHMOD(3)

NAME
lchmod -- change mode of file SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stat.h> #include <unistd.h> int lchmod(const char *path, mode_t flags); DESCRIPTION
The function lchmod() sets the file permission bits of the file specified by the pathname path to mode. See chmod(2) for the values of the flags. The lchmod() call is like chmod() except when the named file is a symbolic link, in which case lchmod() will change the flags of the link itself, rather than the file it points to. NOTE
Instead of being a system call, lchmod() is emulated using setattrlist(2). Not all file systems support setattrlist(2). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The lchmod() call may return the same errors as chmod(2) and setattrlist(2). SEE ALSO
chmod(2), setattrlist(2) BSD
Oct 31, 2005 BSD