Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chmod command in SunOS
Operating Systems Solaris chmod command in SunOS Post 302603415 by hikaru022002 on Thursday 1st of March 2012 02:32:24 AM
Old 03-01-2012
chmod command in SunOS

Hi Bros,

I have a question want to receive your help.

On SunOS server. I have 1 file in /etc. mode of file is "read only". I've used chmod 777 commmand to change mode of that file. firstly, it's ok. but about 3 mins after that. The mode of that file rollback to "read only". I don't know how. please help me to fix that.
Thank you very much!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod command for recently modified files

hello! is there a way for me to use the chmod command to change permissions for several files all at once -based on the fact that these files were all most recently modified TODAY ? I can't use a wildcard on their filenames because the filenames are varied. But I was hoping I could somehow do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polka_friend
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Required help in chmod command

I have files inside the some directories. The no. of files in each directory will vary from 1 to 500K. I need to change the permissions of all the files to 400 mode. When the files are large in numbers...the command $chmod 400 * fails saying "ksh: /bin/chmod: arg list too long" so I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokachari
5 Replies

4. Solaris

chmod command

Hi, I want to create one user who has right to run chmod command in solaris, Any Idea? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
7 Replies

5. Solaris

usleep command is not available in SunOS

Hi All, I need usleep command to use in one of my shell script. I am working on SunOS 5.9. Where usleep command is not available. Is there any way to use usleep command in SunOS. Thanks In Advance, chidhu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa.chidhambaram
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Command in SunOS 5.6

Hi, I have to backup the contents of an old SunOS to tape. The tape drive is being recognized by the operating system. However, the man pages for tar are a little different from the ones I have seen using Red Hat/Centos. On Centos to backup the entire contents of the / partition I could just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

One doubt regarding chmod command

which one is correct chmod 777 file.txt or chmod 777 / file.txt what is difference in these two commands? thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Du -sk command in SunOS 5.10

Hi, I am little confuse after using du -sk on file . I have file listing like: -rw-r--r-- 1 Xuser Ygrp 51419029531 Sep 21 07:40 catalina.out when i issue cmd : du -sk catalina.out gives output as 1804511 catalina.out This means 1804511 KB. Which means 1 GB. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use chmod command inside ftp block?

hi, i want to use chmod command inside ftp. so that what ever files are transfered to the local server will hav 664 permission. if i use chmod inside ftp , the file permissions gets changed in the remote server and when the file is transffered to local server using get command, it does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies
CHMOD(3)								 1								  CHMOD(3)

chmod - Changes file mode

SYNOPSIS
bool chmod (string $filename, int $mode) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to change the mode of the specified file to that given in $mode. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. o $mode - Note that $mode is not automatically assumed to be an octal value, so to ensure the expected operation, you need to prefix $mode with a zero (0). Strings such as "g+w" will not work properly. <?php chmod("/somedir/somefile", 755); // decimal; probably incorrect chmod("/somedir/somefile", "u+rwx,go+rx"); // string; incorrect chmod("/somedir/somefile", 0755); // octal; correct value of mode ?> man 1 chmod' and ' man 2 chmod'. <?php // Read and write for owner, nothing for everybody else chmod("/somedir/somefile", 0600); // Read and write for owner, read for everybody else chmod("/somedir/somefile", 0644); // Everything for owner, read and execute for others chmod("/somedir/somefile", 0755); // Everything for owner, read and execute for owner's group chmod("/somedir/somefile", 0750); ?> RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. NOTES
Note The current user is the user under which PHP runs. It is probably not the same user you use for normal shell or FTP access. The mode can be changed only by user who owns the file on most systems. Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories you are about to operate on have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed. In addition, you cannot set the SUID, SGID and sticky bits. SEE ALSO
chown(3), chgrp(3), fileperms(3), stat(3). PHP Documentation Group CHMOD(3)