Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selecting A Block Of Data From A File (AWK) Post 302603170 by proc1269 on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 08:48:53 AM
Old 02-29-2012
Let me try again, the formatting was terrible (First time on forum - sorry)

I am trying to use, unsucessfully I might add, awk to strip a large block of information from and audit output.The format resembles the following:
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Event: execve
Time: Tue Feb 28 17:02:25 12 GMT
PID: 10938
PPID: 8706
User/Grp: 1234/12(user1/grp1)
Groups: 12(grp1)
Effective privileges: "BASIC"
Permitted privileges: "BASIC"
Retained privileges: "BASIC"
Audit tag: 0: -1:user1:1029472123
TTY: pts/1
Return1: 0
Arg 1 (file info): 
given path = "/path/privrun" 
inode = 333 
device = 64, 0x01839 
mode = 010588 
owner uid/gid = 1500/120 
type = regular file
Arg 2 (argument list): 
arg #1 = "cmd1" 
arg #2 = "cmd2" 
arg #3 = "cmd3"
Other (fie info): 
inode = -1
-----------------------------------------------------------
Event: execve
Time: Tue Feb 28 17:02:25 12 GMT

I need to extract all of the data between the dashed lines based on the search field of ' arg #2 = "cmd2" ' Note: There are no spaces between the lines.

Any help would be extremely appreciated....

Many thanks

Last edited by joeyg; 02-29-2012 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Wrap programming and data with CodeTags; makes easier to read

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to retreive a block of data from the file

Hi I have a several thousands lines text file. Is there any command(s), which would allow me to retreive a block of data between two specified lines of this file? Thanks a lot -A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to retreive a block of data from the file

Hi I am running a 'grep' command to retrieve a line from the file. The problem is that I also need 21 lines which go right after the line I just 'grep'(ed) Is there a way to retrieve this block of data? Thanks -A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help selecting some rows with awk

Hi there, I have a text file with several colums separated by "|;#" I need to search the file extracting all columns starting with the value of "1" or "2" saving in a separate file just the first 7 columns of each row maching the criteria, with replacement of the saparators in the nearly created... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnino
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting lines using awk

I have a file which contains five hundred thousand lines (500,000). I want to select lines of every 1000 lines from that file using AWK. I can think something like this in bash as below: for lines in {0..500000..1000} do ........ ........ done But I want to use AWK. I do not know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjramana
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with selecting column with awk for a txt file generated by excel

I am new to scripting/programming, so I apologize for any novice questions. I have a tab delimited text file that was saved from excel xls file. I am trying to select only the third column using awk command. My command line is as below: cat test.txt | awk '{print $3}' However, above... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SangLad
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting data between [ and ]

Hi Team, I am searching through log file using grep -i '<search_key>' <file_name>|awk '{print $18}' example outputs are I would like to select the data between and no other as I am getting some junk characters sometimes which chaging the o/p display format. Kindly assist.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk for selecting lines in a file avoiding repetition

Hello, I am using Awk in UBUNTU 12.04. I have a file as following with 48,432,354 lines and 4 fields. The file has this structure (There are repetitions of the first column in several lines) AB_14 S54 A G AB_14 S55 A A AB_14 S56 G G GO_15 S45 T A GO_15 S46 A A PT_16 S33 C C PT_16 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for selecting columns of different data files

Hello friends, How can I use awk commands to obtain selective blocks from different data files. For example file1 a b c d e f g h i file2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 output a b 2 3 d e 5 6 g h 8 9 is it possible ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk --> math-operation in data-record and joining with second file data

Hi! I have a pretty complex job - at least for me! i have two csv-files with meassurement-data: fileA ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extarct block data using awk

I have 3 block data with Process Beginning and Process Ending I need to Print Begining and ending lines of block data other than sqlExtracts blocks Process Beginning - 2016-04-02-00.36.13---->Print this line Putting Files To daADadD for File will move to /sadafJJHFASJFFASJ/ Extract... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushma123
8 Replies
Ns_Sock(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 				       Ns_Sock(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_BindSock, Ns_GetSockAddr, Ns_SockAccept, Ns_SockAsyncConnect, Ns_SockAsyncConnect2, Ns_SockBind, Ns_SockCloseLater, Ns_SockConnect, Ns_SockConnect2, Ns_SockListen, Ns_SockListenEx, Ns_SockPipe, Ns_SockSetBlocking, Ns_SockSetNonBlocking, Ns_SockStrError, Ns_SockTimedCon- nect, Ns_SockTimedConnect2, ns_pipe, ns_sockpair - library procedures SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" Ns_BindSock(arg, arg) Ns_GetSockAddr(arg, arg) Ns_SockAccept(arg, arg) Ns_SockAsyncConnect(arg, arg) Ns_SockAsyncConnect2(arg, arg) Ns_SockBind(arg, arg) Ns_SockCloseLater(arg, arg) Ns_SockConnect(arg, arg) Ns_SockConnect2(arg, arg) Ns_SockListen(arg, arg) Ns_SockListenEx(arg, arg) Ns_SockPipe(arg, arg) Ns_SockSetBlocking(arg, arg) Ns_SockSetNonBlocking(arg, arg) Ns_SockStrError(arg, arg) Ns_SockTimedConnect(arg, arg) Ns_SockTimedConnect2(arg, arg) ns_pipe(arg, arg) ns_sockpair(arg, arg) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
These functions ... SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Sock(3aolserver)