Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison Post 302602983 by lotsofideas on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 10:51:47 PM
Old 02-28-2012
Booyah! I got it to work. Thank you.

I was able to make it work like this:
tempWordString1=${wordString[*]}
tempWordString2="${tempWordString1// /}"

and then testing if [ "$theWord" == "$tempWordString2" ]

I was not able to get it to work like this:
tempWordString="${${wordString[*]}// /}"
i tried playing with the syntax (pulling out $, adding " ")but couldn't get it to work. Is there a way to do parameter expansion directly on an array?

Again, thank you.

Last edited by lotsofideas; 02-28-2012 at 11:56 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Letters from Integer String

Hi all, I have a variable, on some machines it is '1024', which is fine, but on others it is '1024Mb' etc. I need this variable to simply be '1024', does anyone know how I could ensure this is always the case? Perhaps a command to remove any letters/characters that aren't integers if there is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hodges
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

string comparison

Hello experts, (tcsh shell) Quite new to shell scripting... I have got a file with a single word on each line. Want to be able to make a comparison such that i can read pairs of words that are ROT13 to each other. Also, i would like to print the pairs to another file. Any help... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jatsui
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string comparison

Hi Guys i need to write a script to check the file structure I have added the the file headers in the configuration file and execute the file at the start of the script. Now the function checkFileStructure() { echo "Inside the function" filetocheck=$1 fileheader=$2 if ] then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Comparison

Is there a way to compare the permission string of two files and output the string if they match? For ex: -rw-r--r-- 1 user newuser 0 2009-03-12 16:45 file2 -rw-r--r-- 1 user newuser 0 2009-03-12 16:46 fileone output: -rw-r--r-- If they don't match output will be just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: squardius
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string comparison

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf MACHINE_NAME=`uname -n` TIME=`date +"%H"` $PRINTF "Welcome to $MACHINE_NAME. What is your name?\n" read NAME if ; then $PRINTF "Good morning $NAME, how are you?\n" elif ; then $PRINTF "Good afternoon $NAME, how are you?\n" else $PRINTF "Good... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a string and passing passing arguments to a while loop

I have an for loop that reads the following file cat param.cfg val1:env1:opt1 val2:env2:opt2 val3:env3:opt3 val4:env4:opt4 . . The for loop extracts the each line of the file so that at any one point, the value of i is val1:env1:opt1 etc... I would like to extract each... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match only the pattern string , not letters or numbers after that.

Hi Experts, I am finding difficulty to get exact match: file OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE="" DHCP_ENABLE=0 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3:1"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
ARRAY_INTERSECT_ASSOC(3)						 1						  ARRAY_INTERSECT_ASSOC(3)

array_intersect_assoc - Computes the intersection of arrays with additional index check

SYNOPSIS
array array_intersect_assoc (array $array1, array $array2, [array $...]) DESCRIPTION
array_intersect_assoc(3) returns an array containing all the values of $array1 that are present in all the arguments. Note that the keys are used in the comparison unlike in array_intersect(3). PARAMETERS
o $array1 - The array with master values to check. o $array2 - An array to compare values against. o $... - A variable list of arrays to compare. RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array containing all the values in $array1 that are present in all of the arguments. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_intersect_assoc(3) example <?php $array1 = array("a" => "green", "b" => "brown", "c" => "blue", "red"); $array2 = array("a" => "green", "b" => "yellow", "blue", "red"); $result_array = array_intersect_assoc($array1, $array2); print_r($result_array); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [a] => green ) In our example you see that only the pair "a" => "green" is present in both arrays and thus is returned. The value "red" is not returned because in $array1 its key is 0 while the key of "red" in $array2 is 1, and the key "b" is not returned because its values are different in each array. The two values from the key => value pairs are considered equal only if (string) $elem1 === (string) $elem2 . In other words a strict type check is executed so the string representation must be the same. SEE ALSO
array_intersect(3), array_uintersect_assoc(3), array_intersect_uassoc(3), array_uintersect_uassoc(3), array_diff(3), array_diff_assoc(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_INTERSECT_ASSOC(3)