Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Make directory in script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Make directory in script Post 302602953 by Corona688 on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 06:46:48 PM
Old 02-28-2012
labs/* is redundant. Just do
Code:
tar -C labs -cf filename.tar .

And you can do
Code:
mkdir -p

which will be silent if the directory already exists.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do i make a new directory?

i know this is a pretty lame question, but im trying to ftp a file to a unix server - and i want to put it in a folder called "tmp" but when i try to do a " cd /tmp" it tells me there is no such folder. can someone tell me the command to create a "tmp" folder? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raichuu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to make big directory structure

Hi, I'm a novice and I'd like to make a directory structure with a hundred or so folders. I've tried mkdir /foo/foo1/etc... mkdir /foo/foo2/etc mkdir /foo/foo3/etc mkdir /foo/foo4/etc ...but it appends '@' to each folder name and then fails on the subdirectories. Is it better to use a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamur
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

make directory script

Hi, I try to write a script to create a new directory. #!/bin/bash echo "Please enter folder name (6 characters only) :" read foldername mkdir /home/user/$foldername $foldername >> /home/list/list.txt My question/situation: 1) how to ensure the folder name MUST BE 6 characters... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaysoul
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Can I Make Subdirectories In A Directory?

I cant remember how, i use to know but its been like 2 years since ive used shell can anyone help me? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kprescod4158
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if a directory exists if not make it

Hey guys im trying to check if the directory exists i get a syntax error on the elif statement iv tried using else and still same result im not sure. If the directory does not exist can i just insert mkdir /tmp/old under the elif once that part gets working if ; then #do nothing elif echo... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a script to run everytime a new file is copied into a directory??

Hi folks I have a unix script script1 in a directory folder1 and also I have few input log files in this directory. My input log files will be copied into this directory folder1 from the portable thumb drive. Now what I want is I need to run this script1 whenever any new file is copied... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make a script accessible from any directory

I wrote a small fortran program that I want to control with a bash script. The bash script builds a parameter file that is used by the fortran program. I want to make it so I can access the script from any directory on my computer. How do I do that? Or what key words should I search for to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: C_James
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Make a subdirectory the root directory

I have a series of configuration files to deliver to multiple unix environments (dev, test, bench, prod etc). However I don't to modify them for each environment. The files are text which currently contain this type of directory information IN=/DVT/ms/sas/reception/PIL_QPA_SID/GSPIN001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: clarcombe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to make a bash script that goes through directory files and changes things

I'm trying to write a script in a directory that goes through the column the user specifies of 4 files that are inside the directory and calculates the min and the max values. This means that if the user specifies column 5, the script will go through column 5 of all 4 files and all that should give... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric1
2 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)                                             OFoldStream manipulator                                            FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)