Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract strings from file - Help Post 302602864 by Corona688 on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 02:17:33 PM
Old 02-28-2012
For lines beginning with "create table", print column 3. For lines beginning with "create or replace view", print column 5. All other lines get ignored.
Code:
awk '/^create table/ { print $3 }; /^create or replace view/ { print $5 }' datafile

Do you actually need to store them all, or just use them one at a time? It's a bad idea to try and store endless amounts of data in a shell because there are limits, sometimes severe limits, on the amount of data you can store in one variable.

Code:
awk '/^create table/ { print $3 }; /^create or replace view/ { print $5 }' datafile |
while read LINE
do
        echo "got name $LINE"
done

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract strings from file and display in csv format

Hello All, I have a file whose data looks something like this I want to extract just the id, name and city fields in a csv format and sort them by id. Output should look like this. 1,psi,zzz 2,beta,pqr 3,theta,xyz 4,alpha,abc 5,gamma,jkl (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a script to extract strings from a file.

Hello fourm members, I want to write a script to extarct paticular strings from the all type of files(.sh files,logfiles,txtfiles) and redirect into a log file. example: I have to find the line below in the script and extract the uname and Pwds. sqsh -scia2007 -DD0011uw01 -uciadev... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one file -

input file Desired csv output gc_type, date/time, milli secs af, Mar 17 13:09:04 2011, 144.596 af, Mar 20 00:37:37 2011, 144.242 af, ar 20 21:30:59 2011, 108.518 Hi All, Any help in acheiving the above would be appreciated. I would like to parse through lines within one file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one csv file

Hi all, Please go through my requirement. I have a log file in the location /opt/WebSphere61/AppServer/profiles/EMQbatchprofile/logs/EMQbatch This file contains the follwing pattern data <af type="tenured" id="42" timestamp="May 14 13:44:13 2011" intervalms="955.624"> <minimum... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings within XML file between different delimiters

Good afternoon! I have an XML file from which I want to extract only certain elements contained within each line. The problem is that the format of each line is not exactly the same (though similiar). For example, oa_var will be in each line, however, there may be no value or other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab@faa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract expressions between two strings in html file

Hello guys, I'm trying to extract all the expressions between the following tags: <b></b> from a HTML file. This is how it looks: big lines containing several dozens expressions (made of 1,2,3,4,6 or even 7 words) I would like to extract: <b>bla ble</b>bla ble</td><tr valign="top"><td... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file, extract two another strings and concatenate to a variable

I have a file with <suit:run date="Trump Tue 06/19/2012 11:41 AM EDT" machine="garg-ln" build="19921" level="beta" release="6.1.5" os="Linux"> Need to find word "build" then extract build number, which is 19921 also release number, which is 6.1.5 then concatenate them to one variable as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: garg
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract two strings from a file and create a new file with these strings

I have the following lines in a log file. It would be great if some one can help me to create a new file with the just entries in the below format. 66.150.161.195 HPSAC=Z05 66.150.161.196 HPSAC=A05 That is just extract the IP address and the string DPSAC=its value 66.150.161.195 -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue when using egrep to extract strings (too many strings)

Dear all, I have a data like below (n of rows=400,000) and I want to extract the rows with certain strings. I use code below. It works if there is not too many strings for example n of strings <5000. while I have 90,000 strings to extract. If I use the egrep code below, I will get error: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies
INSERT(7)							   SQL Commands 							 INSERT(7)

NAME
INSERT - create new rows in a table SYNOPSIS
INSERT INTO table [ ( column [, ...] ) ] { DEFAULT VALUES | VALUES ( { expression | DEFAULT } [, ...] ) | SELECT query } INPUTS table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing table. column The name of a column in table. DEFAULT VALUES All columns will be filled by null values or by values specified when the table was created using DEFAULT clauses. expression A valid expression or value to assign to column. DEFAULT This column will be filled in by the column DEFAULT clause, or NULL if a default is not available. query A valid query. Refer to the SELECT statement for a further description of valid arguments. OUTPUTS INSERT oid 1 Message returned if only one row was inserted. oid is the numeric OID of the inserted row. INSERT 0 # Message returned if more than one rows were inserted. # is the number of rows inserted. DESCRIPTION
INSERT allows one to insert new rows into a table. One can insert a single row at a time or several rows as a result of a query. The col- umns in the target list may be listed in any order. Each column not present in the target list will be inserted using a default value, either a declared DEFAULT value or NULL. PostgreSQL will reject the new column if a NULL is inserted into a column declared NOT NULL. If the expression for each column is not of the correct data type, automatic type coercion will be attempted. You must have insert privilege to a table in order to append to it, as well as select privilege on any table specified in a WHERE clause. USAGE
Insert a single row into table films: INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502','Bananas',105,'1971-07-13','Comedy',INTERVAL '82 minute'); In this second example the last column len is omitted and therefore it will have the default value of NULL: INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, DATE '1961-06-16', 'Drama'); In the third example, we use the DEFAULT values for the date columns rather than specifying an entry. INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502','Bananas',105,DEFAULT,'Comedy',INTERVAL '82 minute'); INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, DEFAULT, 'Drama'); Insert a single row into table distributors; note that only column name is specified, so the omitted column did will be assigned its default value: INSERT INTO distributors (name) VALUES ('British Lion'); Insert several rows into table films from table tmp: INSERT INTO films SELECT * FROM tmp; Insert into arrays (refer to the PostgreSQL User's Guide for further information about arrays): -- Create an empty 3x3 gameboard for noughts-and-crosses -- (all of these queries create the same board attribute) INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board[1:3][1:3]) VALUES (1,'{{"","",""},{},{"",""}}'); INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board[3][3]) VALUES (2,'{}'); INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board) VALUES (3,'{{,,},{,,},{,,}}'); COMPATIBILITY
SQL92 INSERT is fully compatible with SQL92. Possible limitations in features of the query clause are documented for SELECT [select(7)]. SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 INSERT(7)