Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with find
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with find Post 302602804 by eurouno on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 11:43:31 AM
Old 02-28-2012
Help with find

Hello,
I need to find a file created today owned by user2 and grep a string, and if possible copy that file to another location.
So here are the files

ll -ltr

-rw-r--r-- 1 user1 group1 2600 Feb 22 18:00 ABC123.TXT
-rw-r--r-- 1 user1 group1 2700 Feb 23 20:34 ABC456.TXT
-rw-r--r-- 1 user1 group1 2707 Feb 27 18:00 ABC789.TXT
-rw-r--r-- 1 user2 group2 3401 Feb 25 17:59 123ABC.TXT
-rw-r--r-- 1 user2 group2 3408 Feb 27 17:59 456ABC.TXT
-rw-r--r-- 1 user2 group2 4506 Feb 27 15:38 798ABC.TXT

Need to find a string "FROM=TESTFILE.DATA;TO="

more 798ABC.TXT

123456789abcdefgjfkwhfdwfjf999
abcdvdsvmd123234msdcflsdkfldfl
FROM=TESTFILE.DATA;TO=
dsdjsu2817326hr47y34h4f84fh448
dcfewufh347r684yr48f4hf84f84fu
fj483ry48yf48fu498urf49rt44rr8

When I run the following code

Code:
find . -name "7*.TXT" -user user2 -mtime -1 -print | xargs grep “FROM=TESTFILE.DATA;TO=”

I get this

./798ABC.TXT:FROM=TESTFILE.DATA;TO=*X

How do I get the file name only (798ABC.TXT) , or can I copy this file to a diffrent directory.

Thanks in advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

4. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find, regular expression, anyway to simplify this find command?

Hello everyone, first post here, trying to learn scripting on my own and this forum as been really helpful so far. I made few little scripts working great but I m facing some problems with RE. I have a bunch of files in many subdirectories called *001.ext *002.ext OR simple *.ext or *01.ext... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string1, when true find string2 in reverse direction

Hello, This is a bit complicated for me. My scenario in MyFile: Search string1, When string1 is found, grep the line containing string1, go back over that line in upward direction and grep the first line containing string2. Here is an example: MyFile His email address... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
17 Replies
talk(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   talk(1)

Name
       talk, otalk - talk to another user

Syntax
       talk person [ttyname]

otalk person [ttyname]

Description
       The command is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user.

If  you	wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another
       host, then person is of the form :
       host!user
	or
       host.user
	or
       host:user
	or
       user@host
       The form user@host is perhaps preferred.

If you want to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name.

When first called, it sends the message
       Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine...
       talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine.
       talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine

to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing
       talk  your_name@your_machine

It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same.  Once communication is established,  the
       two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows.  Typing Ctrl-L will cause the screen to be reprinted,
       while your erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal.  To exit, just type your interrupt character; then moves  the
       cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal.

Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command.	At the outset talking is allowed.  Certain commands, in particular
       and disallow messages in order to prevent messy output.

In order to use the program with machines on your network that may be running earlier versions of ULTRIX, you must initiate a session  with
       the  command (/usr/ucb/otalk) instead of the command You must also respond to a request from a machine running an older version of the pro-
       gram with the command. See the Restrictions section.

Examples
       The following example demonstrates how to use the command.  In this case, user1, whose system (system1) is running ULTRIX V2.2 initiates  a
       session with user2, whose system (system2) is running ULTRIX V3.0.  User1 types the following:
       system1> talk user2@system2
       The following message appears on the screen of user2:
       Message from Talk_Daemon@system2 at 12:37 ...
       talk: connection requested by user1@system1.
       talk: respond with:  otalk user1@system1
       To establish the connection user2 follows the instructions from the Talk_Daemon and types the following at the system prompt:
       system2> otalk user1@system1

Restrictions
       The  version  of  released  with ULTRIX V3.0 uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in earlier versions. Starting with
       ULTRIX V3.0, the program communicates with other machines running ULTRIX, V3.0 (and later), and machines running 4.3  BSD  or  versions	of
       UNIX based on 4.3 BSD.

The command is not 8-bit clean. Typing in DEC Multinational Characters (DECMCS) causes the characters to echo as a sequence of a carets (^)
       followed by the character represented with its high bit cleared. This limitation makes unusable if you want to communicate using a language
       which has DECMCS characters in its alphabet.

Files
       to find the recipient's machine

to find the recipient's tty

See Also
       mail(1), mesg(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8c)

talk(1)