Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Event logging to file and display to console | tee command is not able to log all info. Post 302601870 by DGPickett on Friday 24th of February 2012 04:37:58 PM
Old 02-24-2012
It sunds more like a quoting imbalance, where the te got hidden.
Code:
"  | tee -a ${filename} . . ."

I usually go for the quieter:
Code:
(
everything, but simpler -- no redirection, pipes, multiple tee's
) 2>&1 | tee ${filename-with-date-to-second}

The there is the ever favorite no tee, just log to file, and to watch:
Code:
tail -n +0 -f ${filename}

Sometimes long commands, even sub-shells and scripts, will buffer, stopping mid-line, but usually at each command end the log catches up.

Programmers can help by either calling flush() periodically to clean FILE* buffers, or initially calling setvbuf() to configure line buffering. I used to use setvbuf for a huge buffer, and flush to write whole log blocks in one piece, because I had many servers writing the same logs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logging all console activity to a file - how?

Hi all, Well I've had a bit more experience with Unix-like environments since my last post, now that I have started working on my website in earnest and am doing much of the file manipulation via the command line through SSH. The thing is, I want to be able to log all console activity,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patwa
4 Replies

2. BSD

Logging to /dev/console

Hi, The output of the cat ttys on a free BSD m/c console none unknown off secure # # Serial terminals # The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc. ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" unknown on secure ttyd1 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup off ttyd2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlalitha
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to tee stderr from a command that's redirecting error to a file?

I'm not a complete novice at unix but I'm not all that advanced either. I'm hoping that someone with a little more knowledge than myself has the answer I'm looking for. I'm writing a wrapper script that will be passed user commands from the cron... Ex: ./mywrapper.sh "/usr/bin/ps -ef |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumgi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with suppressed output to file using echo and tee command

Hi, When I run the following command in terminal it works. The string TEST is appended to a file silently. echo TEST | tee -a file.txt &>/dev/null However, when I paste this same line to a file, say shell1.sh, and use bourne shell . I run this file in terminal, ./shell1.sh. However I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shahanali
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to display directory info with ps command

Hello, I start an adapter using the following command - nohup ./start_embargoAdapter >/dev/null 2>&1 & and when I do the following, I can see: /export/home/xxxxx> ps -ef | grep embargo xxxxx 28086 20761 0 23:23:29 pts/7 0:00 grep embargo xxxxx 8866 1 0 Oct 06 ? 0:00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samjna
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write code for a Logging Event?

How do I know what parts of the application to monitor and what means do I use to get this data? Can I use proc? What interactions are important and how do I view them?I would be more descriptive but I have not a clue. Thanks in... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect an output from a script to a file and display it at a console simultaneously

Hi, I'd like to redirect the STDOUT output from my script to a file and simultaneously display it at a console. I've tried this command: myscript.sh | tail -f However, it doesn't end after the script finishes running I've also tried this: myscript.sh | tee ~/results.txt But it writes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging success event into file

Hi, I've the following code to log the errors any after the command is executed. # Ksh 88 Version log_path=/home/etc/fls/fls_log.log del_path=/home/etc/fls/to_day rm $del_path/* >> $log_path 2>&1 But I even want to log if the rm command is success without any error along with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smile689
1 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)